PR guru refused to apologise even as he was jailed for eight years over a string of indecent assaults against young women.
Max Clifford spoke to ITV News last month about how the 1960s and 70s were a different world and abuse could have gone undetected.
The publicist Max Clifford has spoken out after being arrested by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse allegations.
The Director of Public Prosecutions has welcomed the conviction and sentencing of Max Clifford for historic indecent assaults, saying he has "rightly been held to account", and praised his victims for reporting the abuses.
“The prosecution was built with evidence demonstrating a pattern of behaviour where unconnected victims told of strikingly similar experiences over a number of years," Alison Saunders said.
"I would like to thank all the victims for coming forward and giving evidence in difficult circumstances."
She urged other victims to report their claims of abuse, "no matter who is alleged to have carried out the abuse or when".
Max Clifford has been "unmasked as a ruthless and manipulative sex offender who preyed for decades on children and young women", the director of children's charity the NSPCC has said.
Responding to the eight-year sentence handed down to the shamed celebrity publicist at Southwark Crown Court, Mr Watt said:
– Peter Watt, NSPCC's Director of National Services
Clifford was a rich and influential man who dined with the stars but the way he manipulated and groomed his victims is typical of many sex offenders. He exploited their vulnerabilities, using lies and coercion to get what he wanted.
Throughout the court case Clifford has behaved dismissively and arrogantly towards his victims and the suffering he has caused them. He made them go through a long and painful court case and relive their traumatic experiences by not pleading guilty.
Celebrity publicist Max Clifford has been described as living a "double existence" during his decades influencing the media after being sentenced to eight years for a string of indecent assaults.
Passing sentence at Southwark Crown Court, Judge Anthony Leonard told him:
Although your charitable work has gone on for a long time after your offending stopped, I cannot ignore that for decades you were leading a double existence.
Judge Leonard said he believed Clifford's personality and profile were why the crimes he committed had not been made public sooner.
Some of Clifford's supporters, sitting behind the dock in the public gallery, broke down in tears as he was sentenced. The 71-year-old was taken away to the cells.
Max Clifford has been told his historic indecent assaults on young women would have resulted in an even more severe punishment had the offences been committed in recent years.
Judge Anthony Leonard said Clifford was charged under an act from 1956, which set the maximum term for such assaults at two years, because his offences took place between 1977 and 1984.
The judge said under later legislation passed in 2003, the maximum term would have been 10 years.
The worst instances would have been charged as rape or assault by penetration, which attract a maximum life term, Southwark Crown Court heard.
Max Clifford has been told he must serve at least half the eight-year sentence handed down at Southwark Crown Court in prison.
Judge Anthony Leonard told Clifford he had shown a "contemptuous attitude" and "quite extraordinary behaviour" while showing "no remorse" for his crimes.
The judge said: "These offences may have taken place a long time ago, when inappropriate and trivial sexual behaviour was more likely to be tolerated, but your offending was not trivial, but of a very serious nature."
Celebrity publicist Max Clifford has been sentenced to eight years in prison for a string of indecent assaults against young women.
The 71-year-old was found guilty by a jury at Southwark Crown Court of eight historic counts of indecent assault on Monday.
Max Clifford will not face a re-trial in the one count on which the jury in his indecent assaults trial was unable to reach a verdict.
As proceedings began in his sentencing, prosecutor Rosina Cottage QC confirmed that no re-trial will be sought.
While being found guilty of eight counts of indecent assault on Monday, Clifford was also cleared of another two counts of the same offence at Southwark Crown Court.
Celebrity publicist Max Clifford said he would "make the best of it" before entering court to be sentenced for indecent assaults on young women, with him likely to face a jail term.
Asked how he was feeling ahead of the sentencing, the 71-year-old said: "(It's) not the best day of my life."
He added: "I just have to make the best of what the court gives me."
"It is the same as I have felt since it started 17 months ago, it is like living under a dark cloud. It is the same for my family ... for my daughter and everyone close to me."
PR specialist Max Clifford has said "I stand by everything I have said in the last 17 months" as he arrived at Southwark Crown Court to be sentenced for eight counts of indecent assault.
The 71-year-old was found guilty on Monday by a jury at the court.
PR guru Max Clifford has been found guilty of one count of indecent assault by a jury at Southwark Crown Court.
He has been cleared of one count of indecent assault by a jury at Southwark Crown Court.