Live updates

Max Clifford legal case due to be heard at Old Bailey

The publicist Max Clifford
Publicist Max Clifford. Credit: Steve Parsons/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Max Clifford is due to face 11 charges of indecent assault at the Old Bailey today. The alleged offences took place between 1966 and 1985. He was arrested as part of the Met Police's Operation Yewtree. He denies all the charges.

A spokesperson for the publicist said he did not have to attend the hearing in person.

Advertisement

Clifford: 'I've had tremendous support from everywhere'

Max Clifford has told reporters that he is very grateful for the "tremendous support" that he has received from his clients and friends since allegations that he allegedly assaulted several women became public.

Speaking outside his house Mr Clifford said he was upset that women could make allegations 40 years after the alleged event.

The 70-year-old faces eleven historic counts of indecently assaulting against teenage girls.

Publicist Max Clifford re-bailed following arrest

Publicist Max Clifford was arrested on suspicion of sexual offences on December 6. Credit: Press Association

Publicist Max Clifford has been re-bailed following his arrest by Jimmy Savile detectives.

Clifford, who was arrested on suspicion of sexual offences on December 6, has been re-bailed to return on a date in February, pending further inquiries.

Advertisement

Clifford appreciates 'huge amount of support' since arrest

Max Clifford spoke outside his London office this lunchtime.

Speaking outside his central London office this lunchtime, publicist Max Clifford told reporters:

"One of the good things to come out of this nightmare is the huge amount of support - literally hundreds of people have contacted me in the last 20 hours with their messages.

"So there is always a positive side to any dreadful situation."

Clifford claims date back to 1977 and 'a few years afterwards'

Two claims against Max Clifford are alleged to have taken place in 1977 and "a few years afterwards," the publicist said today.

"All I can say is that [the allegations] are totally without any foundation and they are totally untrue.

"I think one was in '77 and one was a few years afterwards," he said.

He said he appeared distressed last night because he had been "sitting in cells, being asked questioned for hours and hours. I wasn't exactly a bundle of joy."

He accepted that police have to look into the accusation made.

"I've got to answer their questions and hopefully show clearly and conclusively to them and everybody else that there is absolutely no truth in any of this," he said.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories