A national manhunt is underway tonight for a man wanted in connection with the murder of his mother and sister.
Police have warned the public not to approach Peter Fox, who they believe travelled from Merseyside to London this evening.
The bodies of the women were found at separate homes in Bootle. Sejal Karia reports.
A man wanted in connection with the murders of his mother and sister may have travelled to London from Merseyside, police believe.
Detectives say Peter Fox, 26, should not be approached by members of the public.
I would appeal to Peter to come forward so that we can speak to him following the murders of his mother and sister. We believe that Peter could possibly be in the London area and are working with the Metropolitan Police to try and find him."
Fox is described as white, between 5ft 2in and 5ft 5in and of slight build with short, dark hair - no longer shaved - and brown eyes. He speaks with a Liverpool accent.
The family of Bernadette and Sarah Fox, a mother and daughter murdered in Bootle, Merseyside, today said they are "absolutely devastated" at their loss.
In a statement issued through police, a spokesman for the Fox family said they were still "trying to come to terms with what has happened to them both" and urged anyone with information about the incident to contact police.
It added: "Bernadette, who was a mother of three and grandmother of three, was a very outgoing and lovely person who wouldn't harm anyone. In fact she only ever had nice things to say about people. She was so caring and would help anyone.
"And Sarah was loved by her family and well-liked by her friends and neighbours. She was a fantastic aunty and was a cheeky, bubbly and outgoing person who loved her dog. They will both be greatly missed."
Detectives investigating the murders of two women in Bootle are appealing for the public’s help in tracing a man who they urgently need to speak to.
A murder inquiry was launched yesterday after the discovery of the bodies of two women at two separate addresses in Bootle.
The women have since been identified as Bernadette Fox, 57, of Brookhill Road, Bootle, and her daughter, Sarah Fox, 27, of Worcester Road, Bootle.
Detective Chief Inspector Dave Rooney, said:
“We are currently trying to trace Peter Fox, the son of Bernadette, as he could have information which could assist with our investigation.
I would appeal to Peter to come forward so that we can speak to him following the murders of his mother and sister.
“I would also ask the public to help us find Peter as we need to speak to him urgently in relation to the two murders.
“I would stress to the public that if they do see Peter Fox, they should not approach him.
Officers investigating the murder of two women over two days in Merseyside have increased patrols in the area to help reassure residents.
In a statement to the media, Detective Superintendent Tim Keelan said:
I would like to reassure residents who live in the Bootle area where these addresses are located that we have increased patrols in the area to provide reassurance and support.
Officers and PCSOs are out on the ground talking to local residents in the area providing reassurance and support and if required security and crime prevention advice.
Anybody who has seen any suspicious activity around either properties in the last week, has been asked to contact Merseyside Police's Major Incident Team on 0800 230 0600, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Merseyside Police have confirmed that a murder investigation is underway following the discovery of two women's bodies at separate locations in Bootle.
Detective Superintendent Tim Keelan said officers went to an address in the Worcester Road area on Thursday night after calls about the safety of a woman living there.
The body of a woman believed to be in her late 20s was found with multiple injuries.
DS Keelan also said a further body was found today:
At about a 4am today (Friday 17 April) enquiries led officers to a property on Brookhill Road.
When no answer was received the officers gained entry. A search of the property resulted in the discovery of the body of woman aged in her 50s.
Both deaths are being treated as suspicious.
At this time the causes of death have yet to be established and Home Office post mortems will be carried out.
Formal identification is still to take place and officers have contacted the next of kin of the women. Family Liaison Officers have also been appointed.
The investigation into these deaths is at an early stage and although the motive is unclear at this time, officers believe the offender may be known to the victims.
An urgent appeal has been launched after two 12-year-old girls went missing from their home in Liverpool.
Leda Hassan and her cousin Kanni Rafiq were last seen at a family property in Arnold Crescent, Toxteth, at around 3pm.
Police say they are "increasingly concerned" about the whereabouts of the two girls, who are believed to be together.
Leda is Asian, slim, and around 5ft tall, with blonde hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a green coat and brown boots, and was carrying a large black handbag.
Kanni is also 5ft with long dark hair, and may have been wearing a black coat.
Anyone who spots the girls or who has any information on where they may be is urged to call Merseyside Police on 101 or the Missing People Charity on 116 000.
A man has been arrested in Liverpool over the fatal shooting of a teenager.
Kevin Wilson, 17, was found by police with a gunshot wound to the back after they were called to the junction of Smithdown Road and Holmes Street in Wavertree, Liverpool, on Saturday evening.
Officers performed CPR on the teenager but he was pronounced dead in hospital.
Police believe it was a targeted attack.
A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: "We can confirm that a man has been arrested as part of an ongoing investigation into the murder of Kevin Wilson.
"A 30-year-old man from the Smithdown Road area of Liverpool has today been arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice and theft.
"He remains in police custody at this time."
The grey seal mysteriously appeared in a field 20 miles from the coast in December but never recovered after being taken in by the RSPCA.Read the full story ›
Two men have been arrested after a 17-year-old boy was found dead inside a house in Merseyside which had been set alight following a New Year's Eve party.
Fire crews discovered the teenager's body after putting out a " number of small fires inside the flat" on Tickle Avenue, St Helens on New Year's Day.
Police were called to reports of an assault at the property at 11.55am when they saw smoke coming out of the flat.
Two men, aged 22 and 25, are being questioned by officers on suspicion of murder.
Police have appealed to anyone who was at the party to come forward.