Leaving the EU could make Britain more vulnerable to terrorism attacks, according to two former senior British intelligence chiefs.Read the full story ›
Sir Richard Dearlove has contradicted comments from Home Secretary Theresa May that being a member of the EU helps "enhance" security.Read the full story ›
Britain is engaged in a "technology arms race" with terrorists determined to cause the country harm, the head of MI6 has warned.Read the full story ›
The UK did request that parts of the Senate report into the CIA be redacted. Elements which referred to British intelligence agencies were deleted, Downing Street has confirmed the Guardian reports.
Number 10 had previously said that they only deleted items were due to national security concerns.
The U-turn will fuel speculation over how much the part US allies played in some aspects has been sanitised.
MI6 chief Sir John Sawers will stand down after five years in the post, the Foreign Office has confirmed.
Sir John is set to leave the Secret Intelligence Service in November, a spokesman said.
Prior to his appointment in 2009, he served as a career diplomat rising to become Britain's ambassador to the United Nations.
Previously Sir John spent three years as foreign policy adviser to the then-prime minister Tony Blair.
Spies are to be given a "licence to speed" for the first time, under changes to motoring laws.
Officers in MI5 and MI6 currently have to abide by the rules of the road even when national security is under threat.
But transport minister Robert Goodwill is to hand them the same exemptions as police, fire and ambulance drivers.
They will be able to break the speed limit once they have completed a training course in high-speed driving.
Vehicles used to carry organs for transplant, bomb disposal units, and mountain rescue teams are also set to be added to the list.
Police insist they have not had the wool pulled over their eyes by intelligence services over the death of codebreaker Gareth Williams.Read the full story ›
No request has been made to the Attorney General's office for him to apply to the High Court to have the inquest verdict into the death of Gareth Williams quashed.
Today, after a two-year investigation, the Metropolitan Police concluded it is "most probable" that no-one else was present when the MI6 codebreaker died. An earlier inquest concluded Mr Williams was "probably" killed unlawfully.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt, of the Metropolitan Police, says there remains "gaps in understanding" regarding the death of MI6 worker Gareth Williams.
But he has concluded, following two years of investigation, that it is "most probable" that the codebreaker was alone at the time of his death.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt said MI6 worker Gareth Williams' death was "most probably" an accident, although he admitted: "No evidence has been identified to establish the full circumstances of Gareth's death beyond all reasonable doubt."
Mr Williams, a fitness enthusiast originally from Anglesey, was found in the bag in the bath at his flat in Pimlico on August 23, 2010.
Pathologists said he would have suffocated within three minutes if he was alive when he got inside the 32-inch by 19-inch holdall.
None of his DNA was found on the lock on the bag and his palm prints were not found on the rim of the bath.
However, Mr Hewitt said there was no evidence that the flat had been "deep-cleaned" to remove forensic traces and nothing to suggest a struggle or a break-in.
He said it was "beyond credibility" that the secret services had "pulled the wool" over his eyes.
"I do not believe that I have had the wool pulled over my eyes. I believe that what we are dealing with is a tragic unexplained death."