The governments of the world should treat the cyber attack as a "wake-up call", the president of Microsoft has said.
In a blog post Brad Smith wrote that after a vulnerability was identified a security update was released for newer Windows systems, but "many remained unpatched globally".
Mr Smith continued that engineers had been "working around the clock" to try and help all Micorsoft customers affected by the attack and that "broader and important lessons" should be learnt from the "WannaCrypt" malware.
He continued that users must ensure they update their computer's security systems regularly.
Mr Smith stressed that governments must report vulnerabilities in their computer systems to the companies they have bought them from.
He finished by saying: "We should take from this recent attack a renewed determination for more urgent collective action.
"We need the tech sector, customers, and governments to work together to protect against cybersecurity attacks.
"More action is needed, and it’s needed now.
"In this sense, the WannaCrypt attack is a wake-up call for all of us."
The Microsoft-owned services have been reported as down by many users.Read the full story ›
New research by consumer watchdog Which? shows more than half of those who downloaded the software said it "adversely affected their PC".Read the full story ›
The slimline Xbox One S, on sale for £349.99, is 40% more compact than the current Xbox One.Read the full story ›
Just 24 hours after Microsoft introduced an AI chat bot to Twitter it has had to delete it after it posted racist tweets.Read the full story ›
The head of Xbox has admitted it was 'unequivocally wrong' to feature the entertainers after female tech workers spoke out.Read the full story ›
Microsoft is to begin warning users of the Outlook email service when it suspects a government has tried to hack their accounts, the company said on Wednesday.
The policy change at the world's largest software company follows similar moves since October by Facebook, Twitter and Yahoo. Google pioneered the practice in 2012 and said it now alerts tens of thousands of users every few months.
Microsoft has offered alerts about potential security breaches for two years without specifying the likely suspect.
In the statement, the company said: "As the threat landscape has evolved our approach has too, and we'll now go beyond notification and guidance to specify if we reasonably believe the attacker is 'state-sponsored'."
The announcement came after it emerged Microsoft did not tell Hotmail users it suspected Chinese authorities of hacking into more than 1,000 accounts several years ago.
Microsoft's new system Windows 10 has been met with approval after its disastrous predecessor but users have yet to be entirely convinced.Read the full story ›