Southgate and Ehiogu spent much of their club careers playing alongside each other in defence at Aston Villa and Middlesbrough.Read the full story ›
Arsenal defender Calum Chambers is due on Teesside on Tuesday to seal a loan move to Middlesbrough.
The versatile 21-year-old is expected to spend the rest of the season at the Riverside Stadium after struggling to command a regular first-team place with the Gunners.
Chambers is heading north for a medical with manager Aitor Karanka keen to further strengthen his defensive ranks after a positive start to the Premier League campaign.
Promoted Boro are unbeaten in the league after three games and secured their first top-flight win for seven years at Sunderland on August 21.
West Brom and Middlesbrough laboured to a wretched 0-0 draw at The Hawthorns as the Baggies' need for reinforcements grewRead the full story ›
Middlesbrough full-back George Friend has signed a contract extension which will keep him at the Riverside Stadium until the summer of 2020.
The 28-year-old, who joined the club from Doncaster in July 2012, played a key role in Boro's promotion to the Premier League at the end of last season and has been named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year at the end of the last two campaigns.
Friend said: "For me, committing to the Boro for another four years is because of so many things - a fantastic chairman, a brilliant manager and staff, great team-mates, absolutely amazing fans and a beautiful area in which to live.
"I am very grateful and thankful to everyone who has encouraged and supported me. What I can promise in return is to continue to try to give 100 per cent commitment to the club."
Stewart Downing expects more eye-catching signings to follow him to Middlesbrough to help his hometown club push for promotion.
Downing, 31, has rejoined his old club after stints at Aston Villa, Liverpool and West Ham and is hoping to be back in the Barclays Premier League sooner rather than later.
"For me it was a good time to come back. I had a good offer from Middlesbrough, so the security of the contract was good, but the pull was my hometown club. It was also the plans the chairman has and players he was bringing in," the former England winger told Sky Sports News HQ.
"I can't tell you who they are but they are good players.
"I think there's a really good chance of promotion and I'd like to be part of it. The facilities are first class, which should be a pull for any player."
Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas has signed a new three-year contract, the club have announced.
Kalas re-joined Middlesbrough on a season-long loan last week after making 17 league appearances for the Championship side last season.
The 22-year-old defender moved to Chelsea in January 2011 from home town club Sigma Olomouc in the Czech Republic and has also spent time on loan at Vitesse Arnhem and FC Cologne.
Kalas was handed his Chelsea league debut in April 2014 but has made only four first team appearances for the Blues.
TEAM NEWS: Dimi, Whitehead, Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Adomah, Leadbitter, Clayton, Tomlin, Vossen, Bamford.
Subs: Ripley, Kike, Forshaw, Reach, Amorebieta, Nsue, Woodgate.
Dubbed football's richest game because of the vast sums at stake, this year's Championship play-off final sees Norwich face MiddlesbroughRead the full story ›
A man who was found wandering a busy road looking for his severed penis has spoken to police for the first time since the ordeal.
The 40-year-old had been in an induced coma in James Cook University Hospital after being found in a distressed state on the A66 near South Bank, Middlesbrough at 4.50 am on Thursday.
Cleveland Police say they have now spoken to him, in a statement the police said:
"Specially trained officers have visited the man on a number of occasions since his admittance to hospital and have spoken to him about his injuries and how he has come about them. He is engaging with these officers and is assisting them as he continues to undergo treatment and begin recovery."
The latest update from police said the man, 40, returned home from work at 6pm on Wednesday 12th March. He was found by police in a distressed state with his penis cut off at just before 5am the following morning.
A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault in relation to the incident and was released on bail.
A busy dual carriageway had to be closed by police as they searched for the severed penis of man who was found severely injured.
The 40-year-old was discovered in a distressed way on the A66 in Middlesbrough at 4.50am this morning.
Officers were called to the scene and found the man with "wounds to his groin area" and as a result he was taken to hospital.
A section of the road was then closed off as it is believed officers were searching for his missing penis.
A 22-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and is in police custody. The road closure has since been lifted.