A Midlands company has helped develop a gun which fires pellets filled with artificial DNA that could help convict suspected rioters.
Follow the links for your region to find out which schools are closed today.
ITV News finds out what caused a huge bang tonight - involving fighter jets and an emergency response.
An inspection found that unaccompanied asylum-seeking children were less than half as likely to be granted asylum in London as in the Midlands.
According to the report:
- In London only 15.3% of unaccompanied children were granted asylum
- That compares to 37.5% in the Midlands
Asylum decisions for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children took an "unacceptably long" average of 141 days in the Midlands - double the 64 days taken in London, report author Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration John Vine said.
According to the BMJ's research into exercise taken by seven-year-olds:
- Only on in three (33 percent) of Bangladeshi children managed the recommended exercise minimum.
- Children in Scotland were the second worst country for overall activity. Only 52.5 percent were able to meet the one hour target.
- Seven-year-olds living in the north west of England were the most likely to hit the one hour mark, with 58 percent taking part in vigorous exercise.
- However, children in the midlands came in last, with only 46 percent likely to meet the bare minimum.
Staffordshire Police has teamed up with Stafford Sports College to produce a video of popular internet dance craze, the Harlem Shake, in a bid to recruit new cadets.
The recruitment drive is a cadet scheme where young people help police tackle anti-social behaviour in the local community.
The dance sequence, which began in Australia, has been performed by other police forces, fire services and universities in the Midlands, helping the craze top one billion views on YouTube.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service are the latest to make and star in their own Harlem Shake video.
The Harlem Shake is the latest viral trend to captivate people across the world, with thousands of people recording their own dance and posting it on YouTube over the last two weeks.
To learn how to do the Harlem Shake and see some of the best videos from across the Midlands, click here.
The government's preferred route for the HS2 rail extension passes close to a number of natural beauty spots north of Birmingham including Shugborough Hall and the village of Great Haywood.
These are the top 10 schools in England for A/As Level ranked by the average points score per student. For example, an A-level grade A* scores 300 points, an A scores 270 points, a B scores 240 points, a C scores 210.
- Colchester Royal Grammar School, Essex
- King's College School, Merton
- Sevenoaks School, Kent
- Adcote School for Girls, Shropshire
- King Edward VI Grammar School, Essex
- Pate's Grammar School, Cheltenham
- Altrincham Grammar School for Girls, Trafford
- The Lady Eleanor Holles School, Richmond-Upon-Thames
- King Edward VI High School for Girls, Birmingham
- King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys, Birmingham
100% of pupils at the following schools in England had pupils with five good GCSEs (five A*-C passes). The average GCSE point score per pupil ranges from 816.3 at Colyton Grammar School to 684.1 in the tenth ranked school in Headington.
- Colyton Grammar School, Devon
- The Rochester Grammar School, Medway
- King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls, Birmingham
- Lawrence Sheriff School, Warwickshire
- King Edward VI Five Ways School, Birmingham
- Skipton Girls' High School, North Yorkshire
- Altrincham Grammar School for Boys, Trafford
- Invicta Grammar School, Kent
- King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford
- Headington School, Oxford
Schools in Dudley
Schools in Wolverhampton
Schools in Solihull
Schools in Birmingham
Click on the links below to find the latest information from councils on school closures across the Midlands:
Schools in Derbyshire
Schools in Nottinghamshire
Schools in Leicestershire