Major League Soccer has given its backing to David Beckham's proposed stadium site for his planned expansion team in Miami.
Earlier this week, Beckham's team of investors acquired land in Miami's Overtown neighbourhood after more than a year searching for a viable home for the team - with three previous plans coming to nothing.
In order to go ahead with development, Beckham needed the approval of MLS and got that on Saturday night following a meeting of the league's Board of Governors on the eve of the MLS Cup final.
"We are very supportive of Miami Beckham United's plans to locate their stadium in the City of Miami's Overtown neighbourhood," said MLS commissioner Don Garber in a statement.
"Their vision for a world-class venue within the urban core that is accessible by mass transportation is impressive, and we believe it will be an important part of the continued revitalisation of the area.
"We look forward to working with David and his partners to finalise plans to bring Major League Soccer to Miami."
Major League Soccer want to create an official competition involving Premier League clubs.Read the full story ›
Didier Drogba marked his first Major League Soccer start with a perfect hat-trick as the Montreal Impact won 4-3 against the Chicago Fire.
Nigel Reo-Coker set up the former Chelsea striker for his first goal in the 27th minute and after Jeff Larentowicz equalised from a penalty, Wandrille Lefevre headed the Impact back in front.
The Fire went 3-2 up through Gilberto and Kennedy Igboananike but within six minutes, Drogba lashed home left-footed after Ignacio Piatti's quick free-kick and then nodded home his third after his initial shot was well saved by Sean Johnson to win the game.
The MLS kicked off on Sunday and it was Kaka's Orlando City against David Villa's New York that was the main attraction - it ended in a 1-1 draw.
But Orlando should have been more fired up for the game after their new superstar Kaka's rousing team-talk, right?
Judge for yourself:
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's move to LA Galaxy could be confirmed today.
Press Association Sport understands a deal to take the 34-year-old to the Major League Soccer at the end of this season is now close to completion.
However, contrary to reports Gerrard has not been given leave to travel to the United States to finalise the move and has not flown to America as all the necessary requirements associated with the deal have been done in this country.
Owen Coyle has been announced as the new head coach of Major League Soccer club Houston Dynamo.
The former Burnley and Bolton manager claims to have extensive knowledge of the America's top soccer league from watching matches back in the UK.
“I’ve watched MLS extensively, back home we get live feeds and highlights so I certainly know all the teams in the league,” he told houston dynamo.com.
The man who took David Beckham to the United States has questioned whether Premier League's plan to play matches abroadRead the full story ›
Speaking after lifting the MLS Cup, David Beckham reflected on the fairytale endings he's enjoyed at his previous clubs.
"Winning a championship in my last game at Manchester United, and then winning a championship in my last game at Real Madrid...and then winning a championship here, in my last, game - you know, it never gets old," he said.
"I still love it like I did when I won my first."
David Beckham secured a glorious exit after six years in the United States by helping his LA Galaxy team to victory in the MLS Cup final.Read the full story ›