Live updates

Mo Farah roared on to Anniversary Games victory

Mo Farah celebrates his barnstorming win Credit: PA

Mo Farah received a rapturous reception as he won the 3,000m at the London 2012 Anniversary Games.

The double Olympic Champion was cheered from the moment he took to the track to crossing the line in seven minutes 24.66 seconds.

The 32-year-old hit the front with two-and-a-half laps to go before striding away down the home straight to claim a commanding triumph at the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games.

The Londoner's time was the fastest in the world this year and another confidence boost as he builds up to the defence of his 5,000 and 10,000m titles at the World Championships in Beijing next month.

Farah has come in for heavy scrutiny after it was alleged Salazar, head coach at the Nike Oregon Project in Portland, had violated anti-doping rules.

The Briton has not been accused of any wrong-doing, while Salazar himself has strongly denied the allegations.

Advertisement

Mo Farah to compete at Olympic Stadium this month

Mo Farah has confirmed he will return to the former Olympic Stadium in London to take part in the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games later this month.

Farah will compete in London at the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games. Credit: PA

It will be Farah's first competitive appearance in Britain since the BBC broadcast doping allegations against his coach Alberto Salazar and team-mate Galen Rupp.

Salazar and Rupp both strenuously deny the allegations made against them and there is no suggestion that Farah has done anything wrong.

The race will form part of his preparations for the World Championships in Beijing next month, in which he is aiming to defend his 5,000m and 10,000m titles.

Farah said:

The race will be exciting on the Friday night at the Olympic Stadium. My training is going well and it is just what I need to prepare more for the IAAF World Championships.

This year's World Championships are hugely important to me and the 3,000m at the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games will be the best possible preparation.

I can't wait to run in front of a home crowd again and thank the British public for all their support. I hope that the fans will come out and cheer me on at the Olympic Stadium on Friday, 24 July.

– Mo Farah

Mo Farah insists he is '100 per cent clean'

Farah has always protested his innocence. Credit: PA

Mo Farah has reaffirmed he is "100 per cent clean" and insists he will stop working with Alberto Salazar immediately if any of the recent accusations are founded.

Farah's coach was the subject of a BBC Panorama investigation earlier this month carrying allegations that he has broken anti-doping laws.

A visibly shaken and emotional Farah told Sky News:

I work so hard for what I do and to achieve what I have has taken me half of my life to be able to achieve what I have achieved.

For people to think I'm taking a shortcut is not right and it's not fair. The picture that has been painted of me is not right. I'm 100% clean.

I work my b******s off, I work my ass off, day in day out.

– Double Olympic Champions Mo Farah

UK athletics respond to Mo Farah statement

UK Athletics will continue with their independent review. Credit: PA

UK Athletics have released a statement in response to Mo Farah's decision to stick by coach Alberto Salazar amid allegations that he broke anti-doping laws.

CEO Niels de Vos explained:

British Athletics note and respect Mo Farah’s decision to continue his coaching relationship with Alberto Salazar. As is normal at this time of the year Mo is currently training at altitude under the guidance of British Athletics as he prepares for the August defence of his world titles in Beijing.

As has always been the case, British Athletics will continue to take responsibility for all nutritional, medical and sport science elements of Mo Farah’s training regime.

– UK athletics CEO Niels de Vos

Meanwhile, UK Athletics Chairman Ed Warner said:

“Our independent review will continue and will report its findings and recommendations, as previously announced, in early August.”

Advertisement

Mo Farah to stand by coach Alberto Salazar

Salazar (centre) pictured with Farah in 2012. Credit: PA

Mo Farah has issued a statement explaining that he will stand by underfire coach Alberto Salazar despite recent allegations that he broke anti-doping laws.

Farah demanded proof from Salazar, the subject of a BBC Panorama investigation earlier this month, that he was completely innocent.

In an open 1,200 word letter earlier this week, the 56 year-old coach denied all of the accusations in detail, and Farah responded by posting the following message on his official Facebook page today:

Following all the speculation I want to make it clear where I stand. Although it's been a difficult time, I asked Alberto to respond to the allegations made against him and he has now done so in full.

As someone I've worked with for many years, I feel I have to believe in Alberto and the evidence he has provided. Based on that evidence, I will continue to work with him and hope now that I can focus on what I do best – training hard to win medals for my country.

Thanks

– Mo Farah
Load more updates