A man who swallowed a live goldfish as part of a Neknominate dare has been fined £300 after a video of the stunt was posted on Facebook.
RSPCA chief inspector Michelle Charlton said 22-year-old Gavin Hope drank a glass of water with the fish in it.
She said: "A vet report advised that the stomach would be a completely unsuitable place for a goldfish and that the fish would have died in time, the cause of death being a mixture of suffocation and acid ph levels in the stomach, as well as the alcohol he drank."
The RSPCA said Hope told them that he had owned the goldfish for a couple of months. He said he thought it was ill as it kept swimming into the sides of its tank and he was going to flush it down the toilet but decided to drink it as part of his Neknomination challenge instead.
The society said Hope, of Lauder Way, Pelaw, Gateshead, appeared before magistrates today, where he was also ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £431.17 costs, after pleading guilty to an offence under the Animal Welfare Act.
The family of Stephen Brookes have warned others about the drinking game 'Neknominate'.Read the full story ›
People are being warned about the dangers of taking part in the drinking game Neknominate amid fears that it may have resulted in at least three deaths in Wales and Ireland.
Police in Wales investigating the "sudden" death of a 29-year-old man in Cardiff early on Sunday say they "have received information regarding the so-called neck and nominate game".
Last week, Jonny Byrne and Ross Cummings both lost their lives in Ireland after apparently trying to complete their challenges.
It is believed Mr Byrne, 19, drowned after jumping into the River Barrow in Carlow after playing the game.
His death came one day after the body of DJ Ross Cummins, 22, was found in a house in Dublin.
The anti-binge drinking campaign group Alcohol Concern has responded to news of another death potentially linked to "Neknomination".
It is devastating for family and friends to lose someone in this way.
This lethal 'game' shows just how hard we have to work to de-normalise binge-drinking among young people.
But it's not just about young people. They take their cues from society's attitude to drinking and it's this we have to change for all our sakes.
Police investigating the death of a 29-year-old man from Cardiff are looking into whether the controversial drinking game "Neknomination" played a part in his death.
Officers and paramedics were called to an address after receiving reports that a man had collapsed after taking part in the game.
The social media drinking craze involves a drinking dare, usually normally 'necking' a pint of alcohol, posting the video online and then nominating one or two people to do the same.
A South Wales Police spokesman said: "We are investigating the sudden death of a 29-year-old man from Rumney during the early hours of February 9.
"Officers investigating his death on behalf of HM Coroner have received information regarding the so-called neck and nominate game. Inquiries are continuing and a post-mortem is taking place."
A 20-year-old man has reportedly become the first Briton to die after taking part in the social media drinking craze known as “Neknomination".
According to the Daily Mail, Isaac Richardson is believed to have collapsed at a hostel in Woolwich, London, minutes after drinking a concoction of vodka, whisky, white wine and lager.
The newspaper reports that prior to his death, Mr Richardson had boasted to a friend that he was going to "outdo" others that had been challenged in the game.
A Scotland Yard spokesperson told ITV News that a 20-year-old man had died after being admitted to hospital and his death is being treated as unexplained and not suspicious.
The RSPCA have reported an "alarming trend" in people drinking alcohol with a goldfish inside as part of the controversial 'neknomination' craze.
The drinking game, which sees people being challenged to drink large quantities of alcohol before nominating a friend to do the same or more extreme feats, has been heavily criticised after the deaths of two young men last week.
The organisation revealed that they have received 14 calls about footage showing people drinking a shot of alcohol with a live fish inside.
“We are extremely concerned about this shocking new trend. We have had quite a few similar cases reported to us in a very short space of time – but this could be just the tip of the iceberg as there’s probably many more we have not been told about," RSPCA scientist Nicola White said.
The animal welfare charity said "eating a live animal and posting of a film of it on the internet is not some light-hearted joke" and was a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act.
Internet users fight back against 'Neknominate' by attempting to dare friends across the world to perform a random act of kindness.Read the full story ›
The Northern Ireland Neknomination Facebook page has been discontinued and turned into an alcohol awareness page.
A spokesperson involved in creating the page, which has been heavily criticised after the online craze was linked to the deaths of two young men, told the BBC that the group had decided to remove all the videos and instead highlight the dangers of alcohol.
"We made the decision a few nights ago to no longer continue to run the page the way it was originally set up," the spokesperson said.
"All videos have been removed and we'd like to continue as a Neknomination awareness page, highlighting the dangers surrounding the game."
Jonny Byrne had been playing the drinking game known as 'neknomination' before his death.
The 19-year-old's body was discovered in the River Barrow in Carlow in the Irish Republic.
His brother Patrick has appealed to the public to avoid the stunt which involves people being challenged to post a video online of them downing drinks, then nominating others to do the same inside 24 hours.
Public health agencies have widely condemned the online craze and have appealed to young people to recognise the dangers posed by heavy alcohol consumption.