Live updates

William and Kate set to make whistle-stop New York trip

Prince William and Kate will make a quick three-day trip to New York next month, which will see the couple visit the September 11 memorial and watch an NBA basketball game.

The royals will arrive in the US on December 7 and return to the UK two days later for a first trip to America since their visit to California in 2011.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will travel to New York for the first time as a couple, though son Prince George will stay at home. Credit: Chris Jackson/PA Wire

William will also fly to Washington DC on the trip's middle day to attend a wildlife conference, while the pregnant Duchess will remain in New York to visit a local child development centre with city mayor Bill de Blasio's wife Chirlane McCray.

The list of engagements includes the NBA game as the basketball league supports the wildlife initiatives which the prince is involved with.

Advertisement

Real Madrid legend Raul joins New York Cosmos

New York Cosmos have pulled off a coup by signing former Real Madrid striker Raul.

The Spaniard, who is the record goalscorer at the Santiago Bernabeu, will also take on the role of technical director, before working with the club's academy upon retirement.

Raul is still a hero at the Santiago Bernabeu. Credit: PA

The 37-year-old former Schalke forward said: "Everyone throughout the soccer world knows the Cosmos name and the legacy of the players that played for this team previously. They helped establish soccer in America and I’m honored to follow in their footsteps. I believe in this club’s vision and I’m excited to be a part of that.”

Advertisement

Ground zero trio die on same day from '9/11 illnesses'

Three retired firefighters who worked at ground zero in New York have died on the same day from illnesses that are believed to be related to dealing with the 9/11 terror attacks.

Lieutenant Howard Bischoff and firefighters Robert Leaver and Daniel Heglund all died on Monday, NBC News has reported.

New York Fire Department commissioner Daniel Nigro said the men's deaths are "a painful reminder that 13 years later we continue to pay a terrible price for the department's heroic efforts" in September 2001.

The three men were among the first FDNY responders in the aftermath of the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center. Credit: Reuters-Peter Morgan

One had leukaemia, another had oesophageal cancer and a third had colon cancer.

The Uniformed Fire Officers Association said 99 per cent of first responders reported suffering at least one new respiratory illness after 9/11.

Load more updates