Live updates

Newcastle complete permanent deal for Dubravka

Dubravka has joined Newcastle permanently. Credit: PA

Newcastle have completed the permanent signing of goalkeeper Martin Dubravka from Sparta Prague.

The Slovakia international, who made 12 Premier League appearances for the Magpies during a loan spell last season, has signed a four-year contract at St James' Park.

Manager Rafael Benitez told the club's website: "Ever since he arrived with us on loan he has shown a fantastic attitude and great work ethic, and of course we have been very impressed with his performances for us on the pitch last season.

"This was one of the key positions we had identified we needed to strengthen and had been concerned about, so it is excellent news that we are able now to sign him on a permanent basis."

Advertisement

Benitez staying at Newcastle would be club's best signing - Shelvey

Credit: PA

Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has claimed keeping manager Rafael Benitez would be the club's most important signing this summer.

The 58-year-old Spaniard is currently in talks to extend his existing contract, which has a year left to run, with players and fans alike desperate for him to stay after masterminding a successful first season back in the Premier League.

Shelvey told Sky Sports News: "Hopefully the manager will stay and we'll keep building. I think that's probably the most important signing of the summer, to make Rafa stay.

"When I first came to the club, there wasn't really a link between the fans and the players, and he's just turned the whole city around. There's just such a buzz in Newcastle.

"Everywhere you go, the fans are always talking to you. He's just turned the whole place around."

Benitez arrived at St James' Park in March 2016 with 10 games of the campaign remaining, but was unable to halt a slide into the Sky Bet Championship.

However, he guided the club back into the big time as champions at the first attempt and heads into the penultimate fixture of this season at Tottenham on Wednesday evening knowing a top-10 finish is within their grasp.

Newcastle's Slimani handed ban for violent conduct by FA

Islam Slimani will miss the final three games of his loan spell at Newcastle through suspension. Credit: PA

Islam Slimani will miss the final three games of his loan spell at Newcastle through suspension after accepting a charge of violent conduct, the Football Association has announced.

The 29-year-old Leicester striker was charged after kicking out at West Brom defender Craig Dawson during Saturday's 1-0 Premier League defeat at St James' Park.

An FA statement said: "Islam Slimani will miss Newcastle United's next three matches after he was charged with violent conduct.

"He accepted the charge but argued the suspension was excessive. This was rejected by an independent regulatory commission.

"The forward was involved in an off-the-ball incident during Saturday's game against West Bromwich Albion."

Advertisement

Premier League team news: Newcastle vs Arsenal

Load more updates