Jonny Evans and Papiss Cissé are facing likely bans from the FA after appearing to spit at each other during a Premier League gameRead the full story ›
Man United striker Robin van Persie has still not recovered from an ankle injury and will miss the matchRead the full story ›
Police have arrested five people during Britain's first anti-Islam Pegida rally in Newcastle's city centre.
Northumbria Police said 375 people were on the Pegida rally while 2,000 joined a rival demonstration called 'Newcastle Unites'.
There was a brief scuffle involving members of far-right groups which temporarily damaged Pegida's PA system, a steward said, but there was no outbreak of major trouble.
Police said the arrests were for isolated incidents and both events passed off smoothly.
It was unclear which sides the five arrested men were from, and their alleged offences ranged from assault, to being drunk and disorderly and breach of the peace.
Newcastle Chief Superintendent Laura Young said: "Both demonstrations passed without any problems and I'd like to thank people in Newcastle for their cooperation and support throughout.
"The vast majority of those that took part in today's events were peaceful and both groups stuck to their agreed times, routes and plans."
Police said 375 people attended a rally in Newcastle by the anti-Islam group Pegida, while 2000 people joined a counter-demonstration.Read the full story ›
A major police operation will be in place today for the first demonstration in Britain by the controversial anti-Islam group Pegida UK.
Opponents of the group are also rallying in Newcastle city centre, on what will be a busy day for Northumbria Police as it coincides with a Premier League football match.
Pegida organisers have pledged on Facebook that it is a peaceful organisation and not affiliated with right-wing extremists.
Opponents disagreed and have vowed to make the group, whose name translated from German means Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West, feel unwelcome.
George Galloway MP and comedian Russell Brand have backed the counter demonstrators, who come under the banner Newcastle Unites.
It's not known how many people will support the first Pegida rally, although more than 800 people have indicated on Facebook that they will attend.
Jonas Gutierrez could make an emotional return for Newcastle this weekend after winning his battle against testicular cancer.
The 31-year-old Argentina midfielder, who last featured for the Magpies at Cardiff on October 2, 2013, is in the squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Aston Villa.
Head coach John Carver said: "I'm going to bring Jonas Gutierrez into the squad, and there's a possibility he could be on the bench this weekend.
"That's a huge lift for him, and for everyone else around the club, and certainly for the fans because I know how much they like him. I'm sure they'll give him a good reception."
Gutierrez was given the all-clear in November last year and returned to training on Tyneside the following month, since when he was been working his way back to match fitness.
Jonas Gutierrez may yet appear for Newcastle one final time following the collapse of a move to former club Velez Sarsfield.
Gutierrez, who has overcome testicular cancer, had held talks with Sarsfield chiefs about a switch to the Argentinian club prior to the closure of their transfer window on Sunday.
But the 31-year-old midfielder failed to finalise terms and on Monday was returning to Newcastle, tweeting a picture of himself on a flight heading from London to Tyneside.
Due to his battle with cancer, the former Argentina international has not played for the Magpies since October 2013.
But with his contract due to expire in the summer, there is now an opportunity for Gutierrez to make a farewell appearance.
Newcastle striker Siem de Jong has suffered a collapsed lung and will be out for another two months.
The Holland international underwent surgery on Tuesday, with De Jong suffering from a similar complaint to one he had while with Ajax in 2013.
"We are all hopeful that the surgery I have had will ensure I don't have any repeat of the condition in the future," De Jong told the official Newcastle website.
"After four months of hard work getting back to full fitness it is such bad luck to suffer another setback.
"It's very sad for me personally, especially since I was almost back in contention and feeling great.
"I am determined to come back stronger as soon as possible."
Newcastle head coach John Carver denied Jack Colback was lucky to still be on the pitch when he fired the Magpies ahead in their 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw with Stoke.
Colback might have picked up a second yellow card for a 71st-minute foul on Victor Moses, but escaped punishment and three minutes later found the net.
Carver's side were denied victory, though, by Peter Crouch's 90th-minute header.
On whether Colback should have been sent off, Carver told Sky Sports News: "I think the referee used his common sense. Jack's not a nasty guy, he's competitive, but it works both ways and I think one or two of those lads on the Stoke team got away with one or two things."
Stoke striker Peter Crouch came off the bench to snatch a draw at Newcastle with a dramatic late equaliserRead the full story ›