Police investigating the murder of a 24-year-old man are treating his death as a disability hate crime.
Lee Irving was discovered on a grassed area in Newcastle on Saturday. He was wearing a tracksuit but had no socks and just one trainer on.
Northumbria Police Superintendent Bruce Storey said: "It's thought those involved in this incident know each other.
"Lee had learning difficulties and was vulnerable. One of our key lines of inquiry was to establish whether this is a factor in his death and a motivation in this crime."
The local community are said to be "shocked and appalled" by Mr Irving's death and extra officers are carrying out patrols in the area to offer reassurance.
Inquiries are ongoing and police want to speak to anyone who was in the Fawdon area between 7am and 9am on Saturday morning.
John Carver could learn his fate on Tuesday as Newcastle continue their search for a new head coachRead the full story ›
Mike Williamson returns from suspension for Newcastle's vital Barclays Premier League clash with West Ham at St James' Park on SundayRead the full story ›
A man from Newcastle has been charged with disseminating terrorist publications, police have revealed.
Mohammed Abdal Miah, aged 32, was arrested on Monday and will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in London today to face four charges.
A police spokesman said the investigation was intelligence-led, and said nobody from the community had been at immediate risk.
The disabled pensioner, whose mugging sparked an online fundraising drive to buy him a new home, is struggling to settle in the property.Read the full story ›
Ayoze Perez is targeting victory at QPR to further ease Newcastle's relegation fears after bringing an end to their eight-game losing streak.
The 21-year-old striker snatched a point with his seventh goal of the season to secure a 1-1 draw with West Brom at St James' Park on Saturday, their first point since February 28.
Perez told nufcTV: "It has given us a lot of confidence, but we need to focus on the next game, QPR, and just go after those three important points.
"It's a crucial game, a very important game. We need to go there and get the three points. It's very important."
Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini has denied that players fought on the bus back from their disastrous defeat at Leicester.
The Magpies slipped to within two points of the Premier League relegation zone as a result of their 3-0 reverse at the King Power Stadium last Saturday, prompting a week of blood-letting on Tyneside.
Writing in his programme notes ahead of Saturday afternoon's home clash with West Brom, Coloccini said:
The dressing room after the game was angry at the result and the performance. However, I have read things this week that said there was fighting between the players in the dressing room and on the bus. That is not true at all.
Everything that was said was positive and constructive as everyone is trying their best to push the team back up the league.
Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has penned an open letter apologising to fans for recent preformancesRead the full story ›
Mike Williamson is reported to have apologised for his sending-off for Newcastle at Leicester on Saturday but denied it was deliberateRead the full story ›
Newcastle boss John Carver accused defender Mike Williamson of getting sent off deliberately in a blistering attack on his playersRead the full story ›