Former France and Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka will return to Mumbai City FC as the team's marquee player-manager for the second season of the Indian Super League.
The 36-year-old, who scored two goals for Mumbai in the inaugural edition of the eight-team league last year, took on a similar dual role in 2012 for Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.
"I would like to say thank you to the Mumbai City FC staff for giving me the opportunity to coach the club," Anelka, who has played for a host of English Premier League clubs including Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool, said in a statement.
"We are all very excited to start this new season. I'm personally very eager to take on this new role for the club and put a strong competitive team on the pitch," added the well-travelled Frenchman.
The Football Association will seek to ensure Nicolas Anelka serves his 'quenelle' suspension wherever he goes next.
The 35-year-old former French international was given a five-match ban and fined £80,000 by the FA for the 'quenelle' gesture he made during his side's match against West Ham in December.
The FA will write to world governing body FIFA on Monday to ask that the five-match ban it imposed for the gesture is served by Anelka at whichever club he may choose to go to next, according to the Press Association.
The FA will also request that the punishment only be considered complete once the player has paid the £80,000 fine issued alongside the ban, and once he has completed an education course.
West Bromwich Albion have said that it "notes Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training".
West Bromwich Albion have written to Nicolas Anelka giving him "14 days’ notice of termination as required under his contract".
A statement issued by the club said: "The Club considers the conduct of Nicolas Anelka on December 28, coupled with his purported termination on Social Media this evening, to be gross misconduct."
West Bromwich Albion say have not received formal confirmation that Nicolas Anelka has cancelled his contract as they criticised the French striker's claims on Twitter as "highly unprofessional".
Anelka claimed he had left the club to "keep my integrity" on the social network site earlier this evening.
The Midlands club confirmed that it had been in discussions with the 35-year-old as part of its internal enquiry into the 'quenelle' incident and had hoped to conclude its own investigations next week.
"The Club notes Nicolas Anelka’s comments on Twitter this evening (Friday). However, the club has received nothing formally regarding the termination of Nicolas Anelka’s contract from either him or his advisers," the statement said.
"The Club regards the release of such a statement on social media as highly unprofessional and will make a further statement when appropriate."
Nicolas Anelka, who was recently given a five-match ban for using the controversial 'quenelle' gesture, has announced that he has left West Bromwich Albion with immediate effect.
The French striker tweeted his decision, writing in French: "Following discussions between the club and me, proposals have been made to me that I rejoined the group under certain conditions that I can not accept.
"Wishing to keep my integrity, I decided to terminate the contract binding me with West Bromwich Albion until 2014, with immediate effect," the statement concluded.
The Football Association had pressed the Independent Regulatory Commission at the original hearing to impose a suspension of greater than five matches.
It said in a statement, the FA said it "does not consider there is a real prospect of successfully appealing to extend" the five-match ban imposed on Anelka.
West Bromwich Albion striker Nicolas Anelka has been suspended by the club pending the conclusion of the FA’s disciplinary process and the Club’s own internal investigation.
In a statement, the club said: "WestBromwich Albion treats very seriously any such allegation which includes anyreference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion and/or belief."
The 35-year-old former French international has been given a five-match ban and fined £80,000 by the FA for the 'quenelle' gesture he made during his side's match against West Ham in December.
The FA introduced new anti-racism rules last year following criticism of its handling of cases involving John Terry and Luis Suarez.
The new guidelines meant a five-game ban was the minimum that could be issued if Nicolas Anelka was found guilty of making a racist gesture.
Here's how Anelka's punishment compares with other high-profile cases dealt with by the FA in recent years:
- December 2011: Luis Suarez is banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra. He is also fined £40,000.
- September 2012: After a long-running denial, John Terry accepts a four-match ban and a fine of £220,000 for racially abusing Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand.
- April 2013: Luis Suarez receives a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.
The Football Association said its Independent Regulatory Commission found Nicolas Anelka guilty of an "aggravated breach" of its rules because the gesture "included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief."
But the commission added: