A service of remembrance was held to mark 25 years since the Piper Alpha disaster. 167 men were killed in an explosion on the oil platform.
All the passengers and crew from a helicopter that ditched in the North Sea have arrived safely back on land after a dramatic rescue.
A leak at the Elgin platform, has left a cloud of gas stretching for miles across the North Sea
A gas leak on a North Sea oil platform has been stopped, according to the operators.
Work to "kill" the leak started yesterday on Total's Elgin platform, around 150 miles from Aberdeen, with heavy mud being pumped into the well.
Total said the operation lasted 12 hours.
All 238 staff were evacuated from the platform when the leak was detected almost two months ago in March.
At one point about 200,000 cubic metres of gas was leaking every day but this was said to have been reduced by two-thirds when workers started drilling a relief well last month.
Total was granted approval from the Department of Energy and Climate Change almost two weeks ago to carry out the "kill" operation.
Bond Aviation Group said it is suspending EC225 Super Puma helicopter flights until further notice for safety reasons after one of the aircraft ditched in the North Sea today.
A Bond helicopter has made a controlled landing in the North Sea after getting into trouble.
All 14 on board are safe and well.
All crew and passengers are in a life raft waiting to be rescued by a lifeboat.
Two helicopter have been deployed to assist the rescue.
Total can this morning confirm that the flare on the Elgin platform has extinguished itself. More info on http://t.co/lPyhWmMm
Total has said it has found the source of the gas leak from its North Sea platform.
In a statement it said:
The leak is from a well that was plugged one year ago and from a rock formation in about 4,000 metres depth.
The gas is coming from the Elgin platform above sea level but engineers say they need to know where the leak is coming from before they repair it.
The Elgin Well Head offshore gas platform is still leaking gas tonight. Operators insist that there is "no immediate concern" of a flare igniting or an explosion taking place.
All 238 workers have been removed from the site.
In a statement, Total said the situation is "currently stable. "
Total have released the following statement about the safety of the Elgin platform. A safety flare has been lit on the platform since yesterday to burn off and help clear dangerous substances:
"At present the flare does not pose any immediate risk as the layout is designed to take into account the prevailing wind direction ensuring that these winds are taking any gas from a potential leak in the wellhead area in the opposite direction to the flare.
This is in fact exactly what is happening
"The wind is forecast to remain in its current direction for the coming days. You can be assured that this is being reviewed on a constant basis and should this change any impact is being assessed. In parallel we are investigating solutions to extinguish the flare if it does not burn out by itself."
Richard Lochhead, MSP, Scottish Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and Environment has said that an 'abandoned platform' is 'deeply worrying' and has called for all information to be shared so that 'we can understand all the facts.'
Oil company Total is still trying to identify the specific cause of a gas leak at its Elgin PUQ platform in the North Sea. A spokesman for the company said: "We have not precisely identified the cause of the incident."
He added that a solution was still being evaluated and that it "is a question of days" to find one. The French firm warned on Tuesday that it could take six months to halt the flow if it decides to drill a relief well.