An 84-year-old shocked a knife-wielding burglar by chasing him from his home in the middle of the night.Read the full story ›
A gang who plied young girls and vulnerable women with drugs and alcohol, before raping and sexually abusing them, has been convicted.Read the full story ›
Lead of operation into a series of sexual abuses Temporary Assistant Chief Constable Gary Calvert from Northumbria Police said the victims 'include teenage girls'.
He said it was a “sensitive investigation" which was still at a very early stage and moving rapidly.
I understand that these types of allegations can cause the public concern and I want to reassure the community that police take crimes of this nature extremely seriously and will thoroughly investigate them.
Our overarching priority is to protect any victims or potential victims and to bring any offenders to justice.
I must emphasise that the suspects do not come from one community but a range of communities and it would be very wrong to speculate until we have the full facts which may take some time.
The victims include teenage girls as well as young adults.
The charity set up by David Rathband says it plans to broaden the support it offers to members of the emergency services.
The Blue Lamp Foundation was established to help personnel who are injured in the line of duty.
So far, it has concentrated on helping people with physical injuries.
The Foundation's chairman says it now wants to offer practical support to people coping with emotional trauma and mental health issues.
Peter Sweeney said:
"We can't forget the pain and suffering that David suffered personally.
The last thing we want is another member of the emergency services, injured in the line of duty, committing suicide because of the severity of their injuries."
Northumbria Police chief constable Sue Sim has rejected criticism of her force from the family of Pc David Rathband who hanged himself 20 months after being shot and blinded by gun maniac Raoul Moat.
"There have been criticisms levelled at Northumbria Police during the inquest by some of David's family," she said.
"We fully understand the family's grief at David's death but we must refute any suggestion that we failed to support David or that the support we provided was inadequate.
"Such allegations are totally without justification. We provided the highest level of financial, welfare and rehabilitation support to David, far in excess of any legal duty."
Before the inquest, Mr Rathband's father Keith said his son had been "let down" and his sister Debbie Essery said her family did not accept that the police had no case to answer.
The family of PC David Rathband have said they will continue to take legal action against Northumbria Police.
After an inquest into the death of the former Northumbria Police officer, Debbie Essery - David Rathband's sister - read a statement outside Moot Hall in Newcastle. It said:
"As a family we would like to thank the coroner for his in-depth examination of the evidence put before him," she said.
"On July 4 2010, David, our brother, son, suffered horrific, life-changing injuries which he fought bravely and with courage and dignity, trying to come to terms with a life of pain and darkness.
"On February 29 2012, David gave up his fight and ended his pain and suffering.
"The loss of David has devastated our family.
"We will never be able to come to terms with this.
"Darren and I, as executors, will now continue with David's litigation against Northumbria Police for the benefit of David's children."
Following the conclusion of the inquest into the death of Pc David Rathband, his wife Kath said in a statement that three and a half years ago her family's lives were "changed irrevocably".
In a statement read by her solicitor, she said: "Three and a half years ago, all our lives changed irrevocably. David fought so hard to come to terms with the devastating injuries that resulted from the shooting and the effects it had upon us as a family.
"Whilst I have lost David, he has left me with two amazing children and he would be immensely proud of them and what they are achieving, as am I."
Being shot and blinded by gunman Raoul Moat was the "first step" in the series of events which led to Pc David Rathband killing himself, a coroner ruled today.
The traffic officer who became a national hero grew desperate after the collapse of his marriage and struggled to cope with his sudden and irreversible disability.
He was found hanging at his home 20 months after he was shot while on duty.
Some friends and members of his family believed Northumbria Police could have done more to support him.
Coroner Eric Armstrong urged none of those involved in the hearing to blame themselves.
And, after concluding Mr Rathband took his own life, he said: "The circumstances of his injuries (inflicted by Moat) are well-known.
"It is difficult, if not impossible, not to view the infliction of those injuries as the first step in a series which culminated in his death."
Pc David Rathband who was found hanging 20 months after he was shot and blinded by gun maniac Raoul Moat took his own life, a coroner ruled today.
The inquest into the death of PC David Rathband has heard that he threatened to kill himself on a video-phone so that his wife could watch.
The officer was left blinded after being shot by Raoul Moat in 2010. He was found hanged at this home in Blyth two years later.
A police family liaison officer today told the hearing at Newcastle's Moot Hall that Rathband's estranged wife had received a call from him, threatening to commit suicide on Facetime.