Live updates

Two to appear in court over Carole Waugh murder

Two men will appear at the Old Bailey today accused of killing wealthy former oil executive Carole Waugh.

Rakesh Bhayani, 41, and Nicholas Kutner, 48, will enter pleas after being charged with murdering Miss Waugh, 50, who disappeared from her home in Marylebone, central London.

Carole Waugh's body was found with a single stab wound inside a car. Credit: PA

Her body was found with a single stab wound inside a car in a lock-up garage in Lime Court, New Malden, on August 2 last year.

Miss Waugh, originally from Durham, was reported missing by her family on May 7 and had not been seen since mid-April.

Brighton footballers' sexual assault trial under way

The case against four footballers accused of sexual assault and voyeurism opened at the Old Bailey today.

Brighton and Hove Albion players Anton Rodgers, Lewis Dunk and George Barker, and former team-mate Steve Cook, who now plays for Bournemouth, deny sexual assault.

Brighton's Anton Rodgers, son of Liverpool manager Brendan, is among the accused Credit: PA
Player Lewis Dunk is also at the Old Bailey along with George Barker and Steve Cook Credit: PA

Follow the story on the ITV Meridian website.

Advertisement

Trial of nine men in Oxford sex grooming case begins

The trial of nine men accused of raping, grooming and trafficking as many as 50 underage girls in Oxford has begun at the Old Bailey.

In his opening statement, the prosecutor told the court that the "depravity ... of what was done to the young complainants was extreme".

The men were arrested last year as part of an investigation by Thames Valley Police code-named Operation Bullfinch.

Man admits organising sham marriages for immigrants

An immigration adviser has admitted organising sham marriages in a scam to help men from outside the EU remain in the country.

Zafer Altinbas, 38, of Islington, north London, pleaded guilty to breaching immigration law and receiving money from the proceeds of crime. He changed his plea from not guilty half-way through the opening of a trial at the Old Bailey.

The jury was sent away until tomorrow afternoon when the prosecution will continue to make its case against three other accused.

The prosecution alleges that the scam helped non-EU grooms to remain in the UK after marrying brides from EU countries.

Nadir court hearing to decide remaining costs owed

Former fugitive business tycoon Asil Nadir's hearing today before Mr Justice Holroyde will decide how much the 71-year-old should pay towards prosecution costs and any legal aid costs still owing.

Nadir was jailed for 10 years last month after being found guilty of 10 charges of theft from his Polly Peck business empire in the late 1980s.

The hearing will also decide whether Nadir should be ordered to pay compensation and interest to the administrators of the company.

Nadir was ordered to provide details of his finances and assets under a Financial Circumstances Order before the hearing.

Asil Nadir in court for costs hearing today

Former fugitive business tycoon Asil Nadir returns to the Old Bailey today after being convicted of stealing nearly £29 million.

Nadir, 71, was jailed for 10 years a month ago after being found guilty of 10 charges of theft from his Polly Peck business empire in the late 1980s.

Former fugitive business tycoon Asil Nadir. Credit: Anthony Devlin/PA Wire/Press Association Images

The top performing Stock Exchange company collapsed in 1990 owing £550 million.

The amount he stole is the equivalent of £61.6 million today. The prosecution said it was part of £150 million taken from the company.

Nadir, who was said to have stolen out of pure greed, returned to the UK two years ago after spending 17 years on the run in Northern Cyprus.

Advertisement