Paul Gambaccini will not host his BBC Radio 2 show tomorrow evening, following his arrest on suspicion of sexual offences by officers investigating Operation Yewtree, the BBC said.
- Paul Gambaccini is a 64-year-old American/British broadcaster
- Presenter of the Ivor Novello Awards for 11 years
- He currently presents 'America's Greatest Hits' on BBC Radio 2 every Saturday evening at 8pm
- He also presents the popular BBC Radio 4 series 'For One Night Only'
- A veteran BBC broadcaster, he appeared BBC Radio 1 for 18 years, presenting the US Chart Show
- Until recently he presented the Classic Countdown on Classic FM
- In 1996 he received the Outstanding Contribution to Music Radio award from the Radio Academy
- He co-authored The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles
Veteran BBC TV and radio presenter Paul Gambaccini has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences as part of the inquiry into alleged sexual offences by Jimmy Savile and others.
He was arrested on Tuesday under the "others" strand of the Operation Yewtree, meaning the allegations are not linked directly to Jimmy Savile.
Scotland Yard said on Tuesday that two men - aged 64 and 74 - were arrested at separate addresses in south London and taken into custody.
The two arrests on Tuesday are the 15th and 16th arrested as part of police inquiries.
Chris Denning is the 13th person to have been arrested under Operation Yewtree - the investigation sparked by the Jimmy Savile scandal.
The investigation is being run in three strands and the allegations against Denning fall into the category that does not involve Savile.
Mr Denning was part of the original DJ line-up when the BBC launched Radio One in 1967. He had previously worked as a BBC2 announcer.
A 72-year-old man, understood to be former Radio One DJ Chris Denning, has been arrested over further allegations of sexual offences by detectives from Operation Yewtree, Scotland Yard has said.
He was originally arrested on 3 June on suspicion of sexual offences and later released on bail.
Whilst Operation Yewtree was sparked by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, the claims against Mr Denning are not linked to the disgraced television presenter.
Comedian Freddie Starr has been re-bailed until October by police investigating alleged sexual offences.
The 70-year-old was first arrested last November by detectives from Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted by abuse claims against Jimmy Savile.
Starr was re-arrested in April when further allegations against him emerged.
He was due to answer police bail this week, but has instead been re-bailed until October.
An 80-year-old man arrested on suspicion of sex offences has been released on bail until a date in October.
He was arrested as part of Operation Yewtree and fell under the strand "Jimmy Savile and others".
Prosecutors have received full files of evidence in relation to DJ Dave Lee Travis, Jim Davidson and a 53-year-old man who was arrested on 2nd January.
They have also given early investigative advice to police in relation to Rolf Harris, Freddie Starr and Gary Glitter.
The police investigation launched in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal is called Operation Yewtree.
The investigation is split in to three strands: Savile, Savile and Others and Others.
To date 14 suspects have been arrested as a part of the investigation as a whole.
A number of celebrities have been arrested as part of Operation Yewtree, including former pop star Gary Glitter, comedians Jim Davidson and Freddie Starr, and TV presenter Rolf Harris.
All deny any wrongdoing and are on police bail.
So far, two people have been charged in separate cases - driver David Smith, who is due to face trial in October, and PR guru Max Clifford, who will be tried in March.
An 80-year-old man who has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences as a part of Operation Yewtree falls under the strand of the investigation police have termed 'Savile and others'.