Jimmy Savile could have been prosecuted for offences against at least three victims while he was alive, two separate reports said today.
The allegations began with the ITV documentary Exposure. Here are some of the key points as the case unfolded.
A solicitor for the comedian Jim Davidson has said his client denies allegations against him following his arrest under Operation Yewtree.
The ONS said today's crime figures include the 214 sexual offences related to the high-profile Operation Yewtree associated with disgraced presenter Jimmy Savile.However, despite this, there was a 3% fall in overall recorded sexual offences.
The ONS said the so-called Yewtree effect, which may results in more victims coming forward to report historical sexual abuse, may impact on future figures.
There were 107, 471 offences of theft from the person recorded in the year to December 2012, compared to 99,396 in the previous year. The ONS said the rate of increase had sped up since 2008/2009.
This increase occurred almost entirely in London, the ONS said, with the volume of theft from the person offences in the rest of England and Wales remaining fairly flat since 2008/09.
Media outlets had been aware of his identity but for legal reasons only reported that an 82-year-old man had been arrested.
Operation Yewtree has three main lines: 'Savile', 'Savile and others' and 'others'.
After his arrest in March, just days before his 83rd birthday, a Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An 82-year-old man from Berkshire was arrested by officers on Operation Yewtree on suspicion of sexual offences.
"He has been bailed to a date in May pending further inquiries.
"The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'."
It has been reported that Rolf Harris has been questioned by police in relation to historic allegations of sexual abuse.
Reports claim that police questioned the 83-year-old under caution in November before he was arrested 28th March.
He has been bailed until May.
The Australian TV personality was arrested by police investigating claims made against Jimmy Savile, although it is reported that his arrest is unrelated to the former DJ.
The Metropolitan Police have refused to comment.
Jimmy Savile could have sexually abused three times the number of victims who have come forward so far, the former head of the investigation into his crimes has reportedly said.
Operation Yewtree, which is looking into allegations of sex crimes against the former DJ and presenter and a host of other celebrities, has already recorded 450 complaints against him.
But the Sun reported that ex-Metropolitan Police Commissioner Peter Spindler, who led Yewtree until earlier this year, told an NSPCC conference that as well as those who came forward there were "probably double, treble that who haven't".
He then told the paper: "My best guess is that there are many other victims who won't have come forward because they don't want to talk about it.
"They've dealt with it, they've put it in the past.
"So even with the 450 that have come forward there must be many more. That's not just true for Savile, it's true for other offenders as well."
David Smith is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on May 8 accused of two counts of indecent assault on a boy under 14, two counts of gross indecency with a boy under 14 and the sexual assault of a boy under 16 in 1984, the Crown Prosecution Service said.
He is the first person to be charged under Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted after claims were made against disgraced TV presenter Savile.
– Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS London
The CPS has carefully considered the evidence gathered as part of Operation Yewtree in relation to David Smith, who was employed as a driver at the time of the allegations.
The CPS received a file of evidence on 21 December 2012. Further enquiries were necessary and the result of those enquiries was received by the CPS on 18th March.
We have concluded, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction, and that it is in the public interest for David Smith to be charged with five offences.
Driver David Smith will be charged with five sex offences after he was arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, the Crown Prosecution Service said.
The 82-year-old man arrested on suspicion of sexual offences by officers from Operation Yewtree was interviewed under caution on November 29 last year, five days after a search warrant was executed at an address in Berkshire.
He has been bailed to a date in May pending further inquiries.
An 82-year-old man from Berkshire has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences by officers from Operation Yewtree, the Metropolitan Police said.
He is one of 11 people arrested so far as part of investigations into alleged offending by Jimmy Savile and "others".
A Scotland Yard spokesman said he was bailed to a date in May.
Former BBC producer Wilfred De'Ath was arrested last year over an allegation of indecent assault.
He told BBC the time he spent on police bail was a "very, very unpleasant experience".
"I feel very bitter - I'm totally innocent", he added.
Operation Yewtree covers three strands: claims against Savile, those involving Savile and others, and those involving others.