Live updates

Paul Gambaccini describes 'horror' of sex crime accusations

Paul Gambaccini said he has suffered "12 months of trauma" after being "falsely accused" of historic sex crimes.

Paul Gambaccini. Credit: Matt Crossick/Matt Crossick/EMPICS Entertainment

There may be members of the press who will ask me to give interviews or make provocative statements. I will politely decline. To discuss horror in this way is to trivialise it.

I will never trivialise the 12 months of trauma to which I have been unjustly subjected.

I would like to thank my friends, my lawyers and the people of this country for their support during the past year.

Wherever I have gone, I have been stopped in the street by members of the public offering encouragement. I am very grateful. I'll be back at work soon.

– Paul Gambaccini statement issued through his lawyers

The 65-year-old was told today that he will face no further action after he was arrested under high profile investigation Operation Yewtree in October last year.

Advertisement

Paul Gambaccini will not face sex offence charges

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini will not face charges over allegations of historical sex offences, the Crown Prosecution Service has announced.

Paul Gambaccini announcing this year's Ivor Novello Award nominees. Credit: Ian West/PA Wire

Baljit Ubhey, the Chief Crown Prosecutor of CPS London, said:

“Having carefully reviewed this case, we have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute in relation to allegations of sexual offences made by two males believed to be aged between 14 and 15 at the time of the alleged offending."

Gambaccini bailed until early January

Paul Gambaccini was released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of sexual offences by officers investigating Operation Yewtree.

A police spokesman refused to confirm the identity of the arrested man, but said:

The man was arrested at an address in south London on suspicion of sexual offences and taken into police custody.

He falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'.

Police confirmed that another man, aged 74, was also arrested as part of the investigation. Oficers said both have been bailed to a date in early January pending further inquiries

Gambaccini to be kept off air for 'coming weeks'

Paul Gambaccini decided he did not want to present his radio show tomorrow, and in his absence, the BBC said they would change their programming schedules. In a statement, a BBC spokesperson said:

Paul Gambaccini has decided that, in light of today's media attention, he would rather not be on-air at present and we respect that decision.

Therefore, Paul will not be presenting on BBC Radio in coming weeks and replacement programmes for the period will be announced soon.

Advertisement

Paul Gambaccini will not host his show tomorrow

Paul Gambaccini will not be presenting his popular show tomorrow, on BBC Radio 2. Credit: BBC

Paul Gambaccini will not host his BBC Radio 2 show tomorrow evening, following his arrest on suspicion of sexual offences by officers investigating Operation Yewtree, the BBC said.

Who is BBC broadcaster Paul Gambaccini?

  • Paul Gambaccini is a 64-year-old American/British broadcaster
  • Presenter of the Ivor Novello Awards for 11 years
  • He currently presents 'America's Greatest Hits' on BBC Radio 2 every Saturday evening at 8pm
  • He also presents the popular BBC Radio 4 series 'For One Night Only'
  • A veteran BBC broadcaster, he appeared BBC Radio 1 for 18 years, presenting the US Chart Show
  • Until recently he presented the Classic Countdown on Classic FM
  • In 1996 he received the Outstanding Contribution to Music Radio award from the Radio Academy
  • He co-authored The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles

Paul Gambaccini arrested in Operation Yewtree

Veteran BBC TV and radio presenter Paul Gambaccini has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences as part of the inquiry into alleged sexual offences by Jimmy Savile and others.

Paul Gambaccini at the Ivor Novello awards in Grosvenor House Hotel, London, this year. Credit: PA Wire

He was arrested on Tuesday under the "others" strand of the Operation Yewtree, meaning the allegations are not linked directly to Jimmy Savile.

Scotland Yard said on Tuesday that two men - aged 64 and 74 - were arrested at separate addresses in south London and taken into custody.

The two arrests on Tuesday are the 15th and 16th arrested as part of police inquiries.