Live updates

Murder investigation launched after Belfast shooting

A man has died after being shot in east Belfast, police have confirmed.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland launched a murder investigation after the victim died in hospital.

The shooting happened in the Comber Court area of Short Strand shortly before 9pm.

Sinn Féin councillor Niall Ó Donnghaile condemned the killing, saying: "There can be no place for actions like this in our society. The community here rejects any attempt by any armed group to turn the clock back to the past."


Young man's body pulled from river by police search team

The body of a young man has been pulled from a river after he reportedly got into trouble in the water.

The man, believed to be in his 20s, got into difficulty after entering the Jubilee River in Datchet, Berkshire, on Friday evening.

Police were called to the scene at around 7pm but did not find his body until Saturday afternoon.

Sadly, a body has now been recovered from the water and is believed to be the man for whom we were searching. His next of kin have been informed.

– Superintendent Kate Ford

Boy, aged three, among six people injured in boat explosion

Five people were taken to hospital and one man was treated at the scene. Credit: PA

Five people, including a three-year-old boy, were taken to hospital after an explosion on a boat today.

Police were called to Bray Lock in Taplow, Buckinghamshire, at around 12.40pm following the incident.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "A man and a woman aged in their forties and a teenage girl who were on the boat have been taken to St George’s Hospital in London for treatment.

"A woman in her thirties and a three-year-old boy who were also thought to have been on the boat have been taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital for treatment."

Their injuries are not thought to be life-threatening. Another man received minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

Police said the boat was thought to be privately owned.

Deaths in police custody at highest point in five years

There were 17 deaths in or following police custody in 2014/15 - the highest number for five years, figures from the Independent Police Complaints Commission have shown.

Six more people died in the most recent reporting period than in the previous 12 months.

The last time the figure was higher was in 2010/11, when it stood at 21.

It was also revealed that there were 69 apparent suicides following custody, a massive 50% higher than the 46 cases in 2010/11.

Theresa May has said she will launch a major review into deaths and serious incidents in police custody.


May rules out water cannon use in England and Wales

Police will not be able to use water cannon to control serious public disorder, Theresa May has confirmed.

Police use water canon in the Cloughfern area of Newtownabbey, Belfast, in 2013. Credit: Paul Faith/PA Wire

The Home Secretary said she had decided not to authorise forces in England and Wales to deploy the Ziegler Wasserwerfer 9000.

The Metropolitan Police has said it is "naturally disappointed" by Theresa May's decision.

The move could pave the way for a row after London mayor Boris Johnson approved the purchase by Scotland Yard of three of the cannon second-hand from German police last year at a cost of more than £200,000.

Load more updates