Police made a number of arrests during clashes with protesters in Cologne on Saturday.
Supporters of anti-immigration right-wing movement Pegida have been taking part in a demonstration following mass assaults on women on New Year's Eve, with some throwing firecrackers and beer bottles at police, Reuters reported.
Two people were injured during the protest, with a police spokesman saying some of the protesters came from the "hooligan scene".
More than 3,000 people attended the rally, with police using a water cannon against protesters at one point.
Police have used a water cannon to disperse protesters in the German city of Cologne.
Supporters of anti-immigration right-wing movement Pegida have been taking part in a demonstration following mass assaults on women on New Year's Eve.
Around 1,700 police officers have been deployed during the protest, and there were reports of scuffles between authorities and those taking part.
The German Chancellor wants increased powers to block foreigners from being granted asylum if they have any sort of criminal record.Read the full story ›
A protester took to the streets of Cologne naked after a series of violent and sexual attacks against women on New Year's Eve.
Swiss artist Milo Moire braved the cold to bare all in the German city's cathedral square, holding up a sign which read: "Respect us! We are not fair game even when naked".
She said her protest was a reaction to some advice from officials warning women to keep men at arm's length, saying: "It is a matter of course we have worked for in the past 50 years, that I can live as a woman the way I want to, in freedom."
Police were on patrol in the square but did not interfere with the performance - though they did usher away a number of young men in the area around the main station and cathedral.
Witnesses have described the hundreds of men who carried out the attacks as being of "Arab or North African origin," but little concrete evidence has been released to date on who was responsible for the assaults.
The chief of police in Cologne has been "relieved of his duties" after a series of violent attacks and sexual assaults in the city on New Year's Eve, Reuters reports, citing a state government source.
Wolfgang Albers, aged 60, faced heavy criticism over his handling of the attacks, in which around 1,000 "foreign-looking" men mugged, threatened and assaulted women in the city centre as they rang in 2016.
He has reportedly now been told by state interior minister Ralf Jaeger that he would be given early retirement.
An official announcement is expected later today.
The police chief in the town of Cologne is set to resign following mass sexual assaults on women on New Years, a government source has told Reuters.
Police in the town had been criticised for failing to take action as gangs of men assaulted dozens of women in the town centre.
Police looking for a mother who vanished with her young son on New Year's Eve have messaged her Facebook account as the search goes on.Read the full story ›
Around 400 people gathered in Cologne to demonstrate against violence against women following a wave of assaults on New Year's Eve.Read the full story ›
Authorities in Cologne are holding crisis talks on Tuesday after a string of sexual assaults by large gangs of men.Read the full story ›
Police investigating the murder of Tracey Mertens, who was set on fire two days before Christmas 1994, have renewed their appeal.Read the full story ›