Live updates

Royals to mark 200th anniversary of Waterloo

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo by visiting one of its key sites later today. Charles and Camilla, alongside Belgium's Princess Astrid, will tour Hougoumont Farm, a complex of buildings that played a crucial role in Wellington and the Allies' victory over Napoleon.

Aa reconstruction battle. Credit: NICOLAS MAETERLINCK/Belga/Press Association Images

The farm saw fierce fighting 200 years ago and was in danger of being lost after it fell into disrepair but has now been restored thanks to a multimillion-pound project and will be officially opened today.


Burnham: A 'humble, obedient servant' to Prince Charles

Labour's former Health Secretary - and current leadership contender - Andy Burnham ended a reply to the Prince of Wales with a wordy sign-off, declaring himself the royal's "humble and obedient servant".

The letter was released by the Cabinet Office

Among the latest letters exchanged between Prince Charles and the government was an inquiry about complementary medicine, sent in June 2009.

The newly-appointed health chief responded in due course and added a handwritten sign-off:

I have the honour to remain, Sir, Your Royal Highness's most humble and obedient servant.

– Andy Burnham

Mr Burnham's message is in line with formal British social etiquette, as outlined by Debrett's - but sits in stark contrast to his colleagues at the time, including his predecessor Alan Johnson, who largely favoured simpler alternatives such as "Yours Sincerely".

Prince urges minister to discuss 'heritage matters'

In one letter, released today from Prince Charles to then Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw in 2009, the prince asks him to get in touch and "discuss various heritage matters".

The letter, dated June 16, came a week after the Labour MP took on the role of Secretary of State for Culture,Media and Sport.

Prince Charles voiced his concerns over 'derelict and abandoned' historic sites. Credit: Cabinet Office

In it, Charles briefly detailed his concerns about "major historic sites, many of which are lying derelict".

He also hit out at "unscrupulous owners" for abandoning certain unnamed sites.

He wrote: "As many of these historic sites are often in fairly deprived areas, their revitalisation can make a big difference. Not only that, but I do feel we owe it to those dedicated craftsmen who built the buildings in the first place, and many of whose descendants probably still live in the area, to bring their dedicated workmanship back to life."

Charles writes about merits of complementary medicine

The latest batch of letters between Prince Charles and government ministers includes a letter written to then Health Secretary Alan Johnson about the benefits of complementary medicine in September 2007.

In the letter, the prince wrote: "…I cannot bear people suffering unnecessarily when a complementary approach could make a real difference."

Prince Charles said more could be done to 'take advantage of complementary medicine'. Credit: Cabinet Office


Further Prince Charles letters published

More letters sent by the Prince of Wales to government ministers between September 2007 and June 2009 have been published.

Clarence House said the letters show the range of The Prince of Wales' concerns and interests for this country and the wider world.

More letters sent by the Prince of Wales to government ministers have been published. Credit: PA Wire

The latest correspondence includes six from the prince himself and three from Private Secretaries. There are also eight from government ministers.

It follows the publication of a series of private letters - known as "black spider" memos because of the prince’s distinctive handwriting - last month after a lengthy campaign by the Guardian for them to be released.

The Government and officials at Buckingham Palace had battled to keep the letters out of the public eye but the Court of Appeal declared the veto unlawful last year - a ruling upheld by the Supreme Court judges in March.

People of Mullaghmore want to put past behind them

Lord Mountbatten pictured in 1959. Credit: PA

The people of Mullaghmore want to put the past behind them and get on with their lives following Prince Charles' visit to the scene where his great uncle was killed by the IRA 35 years ago.

Accompanied by his wife Camilla, Charles stopped at the spot where Lord Mountbatten's boat was blown up, killing him in 1979.

Prince Charles as he looks out at the harbour where his great uncle was killed. Credit: PA

He also met with the mother of Paul Maxwell, who died aged 15 in the blast while working on the boat as a summer job.

Charles and Camilla also attended a church service in memory of the victims of the bombing and those killed during the Northern Ireland troubles.

ITV News Royal Editor Tim Ewart reports:

Prince visits village where IRA killed Lord Mountbatten

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall on the bay where Lord Mountbatten set out before the IRA bomb.

Prince Charles has visited the village of Mullaghmore where his great uncle Lord Mountbatten was killed in an IRA bomb attack in 1979.

Lord Mountbatten's boat was about 600 metres from shore when the bomb planted the night before was detonated.

Prince Charles looks out on the bay where Lord Mountbatten set out before the IRA bomb was detonated.
The royal couple in Ireland. Credit: REUTERS/Darren Staples
Load more updates