With a signature on a parchment of abdication and a kiss for her son, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands brought to an end her thirty three year rule - to the cheers of thousands of her people.
That son, now King Willem-Alexander, ushered in a new era and ushered his young family onto the palace balcony to even louder applause.
ITV News Europe Editor James Mates reports:
The new king of the Netherlands Willhem-Alexander, his wife Queen Maxima and Princess Beatrix, who abdicated today, have appeared on the balcony of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and waved to the crowds.
Willem-Alexander becomes king of the Netherlands as his mother Beatrix abdicates.
The city of Amsterdam is preparing for the swearing in of a new King today, as Queen Beatrix will officially abdicate from the throne.
Yesterday the Queen thanked the Dutch people in a final address before her abdication and urged them to support her son, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander.
Here is the timeline of events for the abdication of Queen Beatrix and the crowning of King Willem-Alexander (all times are BST):
- 08:30-09:00 - Gun salute
- 09:00-09:30 - Abdication of Queen Beatrix in the Moses Hall of the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 09:30-09:50 - His Majesty King Willem-Alexander, Her Majesty Queen Máxima and Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace
- 13:00-14:30 - Swearing in and investiture of the King, who will deliver an address and be sworn in
- 15:30 - The King and his retinue proceed to the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 15:30-17:00 - Reception in the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 18:30-18:45 - The Song for the King will be performed in the presence of the King and Queen, this will take place at the EYE Film Museum via a video link
- 19:45-20:30 - The King and Queen will take part in a water pageant with their daughters on the River IJ