Live updates

Hospital makes changes following ambulance delay

The health board of the hospital where Michael Bowen died said it had made several improvements to its service in the wake of the patient's death following a four-hour wait in an ambulance.

Following a coroner's conclusion that Mr Bowen did not because of the delay, the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board released a statement highlighting changes it had made, including:

  • Strengthening the protocol over how patients should be managed in the event of delays admitting patients from ambulances
  • Reviewing its escalation policy during busy times
  • Investing around £1.5 million in new schemes and additional staff
  • Planning to invest £500,000 in new community-based staff to reduce the number of emergency admissions of frail, older people.

"We wish to extend our deepest condolences to Mr Bowen’s family for their very sad loss," the statement added.

Hospital delay 'did not contribute' to patient's death

A coroner has concluded that a patient who was forced to wait more than four hours in an ambulance outside a hospital did not die because of the delay.

Michael Bowen died at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, South Wales, in January.

The coroner, Andrew Barkley, concluded his death was caused by thrombosis of his liver, which led to a seizure.

Recording a narrative verdict, he said: "I don't believe on balance the delay made any significant difference to the ultimate outcome.

"It does not appear the delays, as unsatisfactory as they were, caused or contributed to his death."

He said he was satisfied the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Health Board had taken steps to ensure similar incidents could not happen again.

The solicitor for Mr Bowen's family said the verdict was not a surprise based on the evidence, and that they drew comfort from the lessons that have been learnt by the hospital.


Delays 'made no difference' in patient death

A patient who died after waiting more than four hours to be admitted to A&E may not have survived if he had been diagnosed sooner, an inquest has heard.

Michael Bowen died at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, South Wales in January. He had arrived in an ambulance but there was no room for him at the hospital, the court was told.

Michael Bowen died at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend. Credit: PA

He was suffering from complications associated with liver disease, and died following a seizure three hours after finally being admitted.

The consultant on duty, Dr Matthew Jones, was asked if he thought the delay in diagnosis contributed to his death.

"I don't believe so," he said. "If the diagnosis was made earlier, it would not necessarily have made any difference."

Ambulance care 'no different to A&E', nurse claims

A nurse at the hospital where Michael Bowen died says she believed there was "no difference" in the level of care he received after being kept in an ambulance outside hospital.

ITV News' Ben Chapman reports from Mr Bowen's inquest:


Nurse: it is "quite common" for there to be no space in A&E at Princess of Wales Hospital depending on time of year and time of day.


She says she believed the ambulance was "the safest place for him". She says there was "no difference" in level of care to being admitted.


Nurse says she was concerned about capacity issues. "It is a danger to everyone walking through the doors. It puts everyone at risk."

'No space' for man who died after ambulance wait

A nurse at the inquest into the death of Michael Bowen - a man who died after waiting in an ambulance outside hospital for several hours - has explained that she made the decision to remove him from accident and emergency as there was "no space" for him.

ITV News' Ben Chapman reports:


Nurse says "there was no space" for Michael Bowen as a major need patient, so she decided to put him back on the ambulance outside.

Read: Inquest into death of man left in ambulance for four hours

Nurse tells of 'capacity issues' on night before man's death

A senior nurse at the hospital where a man died after waiting in an ambulance for hours has told an inquest her accident and emergency ward was tackling "capacity issues" at the time.

ITV News' Ben Chapman reports:


Nurse in charge in A&E the night before Michael Bowen died says there were "capacity issues" in the hospital overnight.


Nurse says staff tried to manage the problem by using mixed bays, and putting major injury patients into the minor injuries unit.


Nurse: by the time Michael Bowen arrived by ambulance there was a "complete bottleneck" in A&E department.

Read: Inquest into death of man left in ambulance for four hours


'Capacity issues left dying man outside hospital for hours'

"Capacity issues" left a man waiting in an ambulance outside hospital for several hours, a coroner has told an inquest into his death.


Coroner says Michael Bowen died following "capacity issues" at Princess of Wales Hospital, which left him in ambulance for "several hours".


Michael Bowen died after suffering a seizure once admitted to A&E. Mr Bowen's mother, who called the ambulance, is in court.


Verdict due in Bridgend hospital patient inquest

ABMU Health Board issued an urgent review following Michael Bowen's death. Credit: ITV Wales

A verdict is expected following an inquest into the death of a man who died following a four hour wait in an ambulance outside the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

58-year-old Michael Bowen was taken to hospital after complaining of difficulty breathing in January.

He was attended to by paramedics in an ambulance for over four hours, but collapsed and died in A&E later that day.

At the time Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Health University Health Board said there were 'delays' in admitting patients due to the business of the emergency department.

Bridgend hospital neglect 'now as bad as Mid Staffs'

ITV News has learned that another seven staff at a hospital in south Wales have been suspended over claims of falsifying records.

Three workers from the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend are already under arrest.

Families of patients say neglect at the hospital is as bad as at the now-infamous Mid Staffordshire Hospital Trust.

ITV News correspondent Rupert Evelyn reports:

3 nurses arrested and 7 suspended at Princess of Wales

10 nurses have been suspended over allegations of falsifying records at the Princess of Wales hospital in Bridgend, Wales.

Read: 10 nurses suspended from scandal-hit hospital

The hospital said they picked up the alleged anomalies and informed the police, who then launched a criminal investigation. In a statement, a hospital spokesperson said:

Early in 2013 internal systems within the Princess of Wales Hospital picked up alleged anomalies regarding the record keeping of a small number of nurses.

The Health Board notified the police, and a criminal investigation (still ongoing) was then launched. As a result, three nurses were arrested and bailed and a further 7 were suspended on suspicion of falsifying records.

The investigation is ongoing and it would be inappropriate to comment any further at this stage.

More: Ex-nurse claims patient care concerns were ignored

Load more updates


Today's top stories