The Justice Secretary is to unveil changes to the system of privileges in jail with the aim of ensuring that perks are actively earned.
John Massey escaped from Pentonville prison yesterday evening. The public are urged not to approach him, but to call 999 if they see him.
Prison officers across England, Scotland and Wales have returned to work after their walkout over changes to their retirement age.
Some 30,000 prison inmates in California have begun a hunger strike to protest at the holding of prisoners in long-term solitary confinement, according to the LA Times.
The newspaper reports that strikes are taking place at two-thirds of the state's prisons, although the start of Ramadan on Monday - the period when Muslims fast - may obscure the numbers of people taking part in the protest.
A list of demands on the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity website includes an end collective punishment for individual misdemeanours and a five-year limit on solitary confinement.
Currently, prisoners can be held in solitary confinement is they are suspected of belonging to a gang, the LA Times reports.
California prison authorities have a policy of not declaring hunger strikes until inmates have missed nine meals.
A network of resettlement prisons has been unveiled by the Justice Secretary in a bid to help inmates rehabilitate in the community where they are released.
The introduction of 70 resettlement prisons across England and Wales will see the majority of offenders released from jail in, or close to, the area in which they will live.
Chris Grayling said: "Rehabilitation in the community must begin behind the prison walls and follow offenders out through the gates if we are to stand a chance of freeing them from a life of crime."
Existing prisons up and down the country will function as resettlement prisons with a trial starting in north-western England in the autumn.
The Justice Secretary plans to build a £250 million super-prison in North Wales, while he announced a raft of prison closures covering some 2,600 inmate places in January.
A prison wing for low-risk inmates has been described by inspectors as the "worst establishment we have inspected in many years" following an unannounced visit.
The category D side of HMP Lindholme, near Doncaster in South Yorkshire, had been "forgotten and neglected" after funding lost when the wing was returned to the prison service in January 2012 was not replaced.
Described as an "astonishing situation" by the inspectors, more than a third of prisoners interviewed had felt unsafe at some time, while drugs and alcohol were widely available on the wing, which was shut down shortly after the inspection.
Three people have been arrested by police investigating the escape of two prisoners from a prison van last week.
Officers from Greater Manchester Police, supported by colleagues from Lancashire, "carried out a strike" on a car near Lancaster University this afternoon.
– Greater Manchester Police
Three men, aged 31, 27 and 25, who were travelling in the car have been arrested.
The 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of escaping from lawful custody.
The other two men were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
They have been taken into police custody for questioning.
Police are still hunting for 19-year-old Ryan McDonald, who escaped from a prison van last week.
Greater Manchester Police Assistant Chief Constable Steve Heywood said they are no longer looking for 31-year-old Stevie McMullen, who was also sprung from the prison van.
“This afternoon, we have arrested a 31-year-old man in the Lancashire area as part of this operation, but our efforts will continue to trace 19-year-old Ryan McDonald, who is still wanted by police," he said.
"On Friday, a £10,000 reward was put forward for information leading to the capture of these two men. This full £10,000 reward still stands for anyone who gives us information that leads to McDonald’s arrest and will be paid when he is back behind bars".
He urged members of the public not to approach McDonald "due to the potential danger he poses", but to call the police immediately.
Stevie McMullen, one of two men sprung from a prison van in Salford last week, has been arrested in a car in Lancashire, a Greater Manchester Police spokesman confirmed today.
Two people have been detained following the escape of two prisoners from a prison van near Manchester.
A manhunt is under way following the escape, which occurred when van they were travelling in came under attack in Salford.
A 28-year-old woman and 24-year-old man were detained at a house on suspicion of being involved in assisting an offender.
The man was also arrested on suspicion of possessing class A drugs and breaching a court order.
They remain in police custody for questioning.
Police have appealed for anyone with any information on the prison van attack in Salford, Manchester, to contact 0161 856 5665/5237.
At least three men wearing dark clothes and balaclavas attacked a prison van in Manchester and threatened staff transporting the prisoners with a shotgun, police said.
The men arrived at the scene in a dark coloured Saab and freed prisoners Ryan MacDonald, 20, and Stevie McMullen, 31, Greater Manchester Police said.
The five men then got back into the car and drove a short distance before abandoning it.
Police believe they ran towards Phoebe Street in the Ordsall estate and that two possibly then rode a motorbike found abandoned on Thurlow Street.
Police have named two prisoners who escaped after the van they were travelling in came under attack in Manchester.
Stevie McMullen, 31, was on trial having been charged with conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to rob, conspiracy to commit arson and conspiracy to possess a firearm.
Ryan McDonald, 20, was due to be sentenced after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery.
Chief Superintendent Kevin Mulligan from Greater Manchester Police said: "The public should not approach either man and if anyone knows where they are or saw these men escaping I would urge them to contact police immediately."