The Duchess of Cambridge has apologised for not bringing Prince George to the Royal Family's traditional Christmas Day church service.
William and Kate joined the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and others for the religious gathering near the private Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
After the service the Duchess apologised to a mother and her young daughter, who were among 2,000 wellwishers outside the church, for not bringing her son. When Maddison Neal, aged eight from nearby Dersingham, gave Kate a Milky Bar selection box for George, she replied: "I'm sorry we didn't bring George but you would have heard him in the church."
Maddison's mother Sarah, 37, said: "We were hoping Kate would take the present but we didn't know if we'd be lucky enough to meet her. "Maddison met George on Sunday at the service at Anmer church. She helped him with his lantern and he blew her a kiss."
The Queen will say she is "deeply touched" by the "selflessness" of medical staff fighting the Ebola outbreak in her annual Christmas speech.
- Read more: Christmas Day marked around the world
Doctors and nurses from the UK and other nations have volunteered to help countries such as Sierra Leone combat the epidemic.
Today, the Queen will praise medical staff and those who provide humanitarian relief in war zones.
I have been deeply touched this year by the selflessness of aid workers and medical volunteers who have gone abroad to help victims of conflict or of diseases like Ebola, often at great personal risk.
She will also pay tribute to the 888,246 who fell in the First World War, who each had a poppy dedicated to them on display at the Tower of London earlier this year.
The message will be transmitted on both television and radio at 3pm.
The royals, who will spend the festive period at Sandringham in Norfolk, will attend a church service to mark Christmas Day.
However, they will already have opened their presents as unlike most people in the UK, they follow the German tradition of swapping gifts on Christmas Eve.
The Queen has sent a message of condolence to the victims of the Glasgow bin lorry crash.
In the message, sent to the Lord Provost of Glasgow, she said her "thoughts and prayers" and those of the Duke of Edinburgh were with those mourning lost loved ones and those injured in the tragedy.
Prince Philip and I were saddened by the news of the tragic accident in Glasgow yesterday.
Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who have lost loved ones and to those who have been injured.
This sad event is made even more difficult as it comes at Christmas time. I send my condolences to all the people of Glasgow.
A species of magic mushroom has been discovered growing in the grounds of Buckingham Palace.Read the full story ›
The portrait of the Queen on coins will change next year, only the fifth time the image has changed during the Queen's 62-year reign.Read the full story ›
The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, has been received by the Queen at Buckingham Palace as he marks his first official visit to the UK.
The Queen has been targeted by Twitter trolls after sending her first royal tweet.
The official @BritishMonarchy account she used saw its followers grow by tens of thousands, but was immediately attacked by trolls sending abusive messages.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "We were fully cognisant of the nature of Twitter, where anyone anywhere can express their opinion, but we were delighted that so many people - in their tens of thousands - responded positively.
"We saw some tweets with profanity but that is just the nature of the format."
Scotland Yard said it had not received any complaints and was not investigating the matter.
The Prime Minister said he was "extremely sorry and very embarrassed" for his comment about the Queen that caused "purrgate".Read the full story ›
Former press secretary Dickie Arbiter spoke of his time close to the royal family.Read the full story ›