Cheers erupted as the Queen and other royal guests began to arrive for the Trooping the Colour parade.
Trooping the Colour, also known as the Queen's Birthday Parade, is underway at Horse Guards Parade.
Flags are lining the Mall in central London as the annual Trooping the Colour parade kicks off.
Katie Cutler, the fundraiser who helped generate more than £300,000 for mugging victim Alan Barnes, says she can't believe she's received a British Empire Medal in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.
Former England footballer Frank Lampard was among other sporting stars to receive awards as he was named an OBE.
Record-breaking cricketer James Anderson, also named an OBE, and England women's football captain Casey Stoney, currently competing in the World Cup in Canada, who was named an MBE.
Rugby star Jonny Wilkinson, who was left embarrassed after his name was wrongly reported to be in the last set of honours, was awarded a CBE for his dedication to rugby union.
Three as many knights as Dames were announced in the Queen Birthday Honours list, it has been revealed. Just seven women were given the highest honour.
Fast facts about the list:
- 1,163 people were recognised by the Queen for their achievements
- Sir Jonathan Stephens, chair of the Honours Committee, said he was "very disappointed" about the names of some high-profile winners being leaked before the list was announced
- Sports figures make up 5% of the list's recipients
- 51% of the awards went to women - equalling the previous highest record of the 2014 New Year's Honours list
- Only seven women were named a Dame while more than three times as many men were named Knights
- 7% of the successful candidates come from ethnic minority communities, a small increase on recent lists
- 6% of this year's honorees consider themselves to have a disability
The man who survived the race-hate attack in which Stephen Lawrence was murdered has been honoured with an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
Duwayne Brooks, who was at a bus stop in Eltham, south east London, when the pair were set upon by a gang in April 1993, has been awarded an OBE for public and political service.
Since that day Mr Brooks has launched a career in local politics with much of his work focusing on safer communities.
He has been a Liberal Democrat councillor in the inner city region of Lewisham in south east London and hopes to be the Party's candidate for London mayor.
The Queen will celebrate her official birthday today with the Trooping the Colour parade.Read the full story ›
Singer Van Morrison, TV star Lenny Henry and US actor Kevin Spacey have all been given the highest accolade in the Queen's Birthday Honours.Read the full story ›
Six-year-old Maisie Gregory was all smiles as she gave the Queen a posy during a visit to Cardiff - but not for long.Read the full story ›