Scottish MP Angus Robertson has called for a fatal accident inquiry to be held into the 2012 RAF Tornado crash which killed three people in his constituency.
Speaking after a Ministry of Defence report concluded the accident could have been avoided if the aircrafts had been installed with collision warning systems, he said it was 'extremely distressing' for the families involved and 'damning for the MoD.'
He added: "It is scandalous that the MoD committed to a Tornado collision warning system in 1998, bizarrely cancelled it 12 years later, then changed its mind - but it was all far too late to potentially avert the fatal crash in 2012.
"There is now an overwhelming public interest case for a fatal accident inquiry."
A medical condition suffered by one of the crew who died in a crash between two RAF Tornados has not been linked to the accident which killed him and two others.
A report from the Ministry of Defence revealed the man suffered with 'phobic anxiety disorder' related to flying which affected him at 'medium level.'
It added he had previously sought help with it.
But Air Marshal Garwood from the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) said: "I do not believe his medical condition had any material bearing on the outcome of this accident.
An onboard collision warning system could have helped prevent a mid-air crash between two RAF Tornados off the coast of Scotland in which three men died, a report published today found.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) ruled the accident over the Moray Firth on July 3, 2012 happened as a result of a 'lack of recognition of converging flight paths' which meant both aircraft were in the same airspace at the same time.
Poor weather conditions and 16 other contributing factors were also cited in the 278-page report.
Flight Lieutenant Hywel Poole, 28, Flt Lt Adam Sanders, 27, and Squadron Leader Samuel Bailey, 26, who were all based at Lossiemouth in Moray, died in the crash. A fourth crewman was badly injured.
An MoD spokesman said: "The RAF is already implementing the lessons learnt from this tragic accident and now uses a flight planning aid to highlight potential aircraft conflicts prior to flight."
Watch as an RAF parachutist misses his drop zone at an air show in Weston-super-mare and lands on a burger van.Read the full story ›
An 82-year-old woman is in hospital after being hit by an RAF parachutist with the Falcons display team in Weston-super-Mare today.
An air ambulance took both the parachutist and woman to hospital following the incident at around 1.20pm.
The parachutist was later discharged, while the woman is still being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Avon and Somerset Police said "There will be liaison between various agencies to ensure an appropriate investigation into the incident takes place."
The royal family gathered on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to watch the traditional RAF flypast marking the Queen's official birthday.
Among the 28 aircraft which buzzed over the Palace were Spitfires and a Lancaster bomber of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and a DC3 Dacota with D-Day stripes.
The historical planes were followed by modern Typhoon fighter jets, the Red Arrows aerobatic team and the RAF's largest transport aircraft, Voyager.
An RAF Hercules aircraft is travelling to join the search for the four missing British yachtsmen, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
We can confirm that the UK will be providing military assistance in the search for the four British sailors.
A C130 Aircraft was deployed from RAF Brize Norton at 0500 on 21 May and has started to move towards the search area where it will join the international Search and Rescue effort.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said:
The RAF's contribution to the search operation for the four missing British sailors will provide additional capability and resilience to the resumed search led by U.S. and Canadian forces.
We all hope that the extensive resources being provided by our allies and the further support from the UK can help locate the missing yachtsmen as soon as possible.
Graphic pictures which appear to show at least one UK serviceman posing with a dead Taliban fighter were taken after an attack by insurgents on Camp Bastion in September 2012.
Members of No 51 Squadron RAF Regiment, together with US Marine service personnel and civilian security contractors, defeated the attackers after a four-hour firefight with support from helicopters in what came to be known as the Battle of Bastion.
The RAF Regiment is the ground fighting force of the Royal Air Force. Two members of the regiment have been withdrawn from the front line over the leaked photos.
Last month a report by MPs said British commanders had to "bear a degree of responsibility" for failing to prevent the 2012 raid, which left two US marines dead.
Prince Harry was serving at the base as a member of the Army Air Corps during the time of the attack.