Rafael Nadal will miss the ATP World Tour finals in London because of appendicitis, Reuters reports.
World number one Rafael Nadal has been knocked out of Wimbledon after a shock defeat to Australian Nick Kyrgios.
The 19-year-old, who is ranked 144th in the world and making his Wimbledon debut, beat the Spaniard 7-6 5-7 7-6 6-3 on Centre Court to condemn the two-time champion to a fourth-round exit.
Kyrgios will now play Canada's Milos Raonic in the quarter-finals.
World number one Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer to reach the Australian Open final earlier today, despite suffering from a painful blister on his racquet hand.
The Spaniard, 27, overcame his hand injury and defeated Federer 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 6-3. He will now face Stanislas Wawrinka for the title on Sunday in Melbourne.
"The blister is good. It looks better every day. We are doing the right things. The blister today is not a problem any more for normal life. It's not painful," said Nadal.
"The problem is to play tennis. The only problem is the position of the blister, the place," he added.
Nadal played with taped up fingers, but was forced to stop and take a medical timeout so his palm injury could be attended to.
An emotional Rafael Nadal enjoyed one of the most special slam titles of his career after defeating Novak Djokovic to win the US Open. He won 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 after three hours and 21 minutes.
After shaking hands with the world number one, Nadal lay flat on his front sobbing into the court before celebrating with his team.
Speaking afterwards he said this season had been one of the "most emotional" of his career.
"I felt that I did everything right to have my chance here. You play a match against one of the best players in history like Novak on probably his favourite surface, so I knew I had to be almost perfect to win.
"It means a lot for me have this trophy with me today. It's just amazing. I'm very, very happy, and I just say thank you very much to everybody who helped me to make that possible. It's a really special moment for me."
The Belgian outsider who knocked Rafael Nadal out of Wimbledon said he took advantage of the Spaniard's rusty display to produce a shock result.
Steve Darcis, ranked 135 in the world, said: "Nobody was expecting my win today. Rafa didn't play his best tennis, but I knew the first match on grass is always difficult.
"I tried to do what I like to do, come to the net as soon as I can, not play too far from the baseline. I don't know what to say right now, I'm really happy."
Two-time champion Rafael Nadal has been knocked out of Wimbledon by Belgium's Steve Darcis in one of the biggest shocks of recent years.
Darcis, ranked 135 in the world, beat the Spaniard 7-6 7-6 6-4 in their first round match on Court One.
Nadal, who won the French Open earlier this month, also suffered a shock early elimination at Wimbledon last year when he lost to Lukas Rosol.
The 12-time Grand Slam winner, who was seeded fifth for this year's tournament, could have faced Roger Federer in the quarter-finals and Andy Murray in the last four.
Andy Murray was confirmed as the second seed for the Wimbledon men's singles today and French Open champion Rafael Nadal is a potential quarter-final opponent.
Nadal is still climbing back up the world rankings after a long spell out with a knee injury and fellow Spaniard David Ferrer gets the fourth seed spot.
It means that the French Open champion could play Murray, Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer as early as the quarter-finals.
And Andy Murray could face an unusually tough route of a Nadal quarter-final, Federer (world number 3) in the semi-final and Djokovic (world number 1) in the final.
Tennis fans will not know for sure until the official Wimbledon draw is made on Friday.
The 2013 French Open men's final is underway in Paris.
Rafael Nadal takes on fellow Spaniard David Ferrer in a bid to win a record eighth Roland Garros singles title.
Rafael Nadal has beaten Novak Djokovic 4-6 6-3 1-6 7-6 7-9 in an epic French Open semi-final.
The World number four will face either David Ferrer or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final on Sunday.
Spain's Rafael Nadal's eight year winning streak in Monte Carlo Masters has ended by Serbia's Novak Djokovic.
World number one Djokovic won 6-2, 7-6 to end the Spaniard's record.