Live updates

Ayre: Sterling not leaving Liverpool this summer

Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre is adamant that forward Raheem Sterling won't be departing Anfield this summer.

Contract talks with the England international are on hold, but Ayre says the club won't rush into any decision over his future imminently.

Raheem Sterling has already turned down a contract offer. Credit: PA

"Raheem's agent has asked that we park all discussions regards his future until the summer. We respect that.

"Raheem is a Liverpool player and has over two years left on his contract. We expect Raheem Sterling to be here for a long time."

Sterling embroiled in fresh controversy at Liverpool

Raheem Sterling has become embroiled in a fresh controversy after images of the Liverpool forward holding a shisha pipe alongside Reds team-mate and another rising star Jordon Ibe emerged yesterday.

Ibe and Sterling were pictured smoking shisha together. Credit: PA

Sterling has already earned the ire of club boss Brendan Rodgers after footage was released on Monday of the 20-year-old appearing to inhale the legal high nitrous oxide and then pass out.

Rodgers made it clear after Monday's 2-0 win over Newcastle that he expects better from his players and the Northern Irishman added he would talk to Sterling about the reports concerning his off-field behaviour.

The latest pictures, published in the Daily Mail, show both Sterling and 19-year-old winger Ibe holding shisha pipes and, according to the national newspaper, were taken at a London bar earlier this season.

It is the second time in a matter of days that Sterling has been photographed with a shisha pipe, with a Sunday newspaper also publishing pictures of him allegedly smoking from the instrument.

Liverpool did not wish to comment on the issue last night.

Advertisement

Liverpool manager plans talks with Raheem Sterling

Raheem Sterling will have to explain himself to Liverpool after apparently being filmed inhaling the legal high nitrous oxide.

Sterling was on top form against Newcastle on Monday. Credit: PA

Manager Brendan Rodgers said he regarded the 20-year-old as "super-professional" but would need to speak to the England international about his lifestyle.

Footage of Sterling appearing to take 'laughing gas' and pass out unconscious emerged online during the Reds' 2-0 Barclays Premier League win over 10-man Newcastle at Anfield on Monday.

Sterling impressed on the field, scoring a superb opening goal inside nine minutes, although he later missed two clear-cut chances, and afterwards off-field issues dominated.

Rodgers said:

For me it is something that when you are a professional sportsperson at the top level of the game, I don't think it is something you should be doing. It is as simple as that.

But I will speak to him on it, to see what he says. We want players here who are super-professional and focused on their football. I know he is, he very much is focused on his football and improving as a player.

As I have said before, young players make mistakes. As long as they learn from them, that is what is important.

– Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers

Advertisement

Liverpool aware of Sterling 'nitrous oxide' footage

Raheem Sterling will be spoken to by the club. Credit: PA

Liverpool have said they are aware of footage of striker Raheem Sterling apparently taking nitrous oxide.

Pictures published on The Sun's website (£) appear to show the England international passing out unconscious after taking the substance, described as a legal high.

The report surfaced as Sterling was playing - and scoring - in Liverpool's Premier League game against Newcastle at Anfield.

A club spokesperson said: "We are aware of the story and intend to speak to the player. Any subsequent action will be taken internally."

Raheem Sterling reacts to new Liverpool kit

Sterling is clearly delighted about Liverpool's new kit launch. Credit: @LFC

The image was taken from a video on Liverpool's Twitter account where first team players showed off next season's home kit.

A glum faced Sterling appeared towards the end of the video, which has since been deleted by the club.

The 20 year-old recently turned down a new £100,000 a week contract offer at Anfield, citing his ambitions to win trophies and denying the decision has anything to do with money.

The England youngster has been linked with a host of clubs this summer including Arsenal and Man City.

Load more updates