Joey Barton is set to return to Rangers after the club announced the conclusion of the midfielder's disciplinary procedure.
The 34-year-old was banished from the club after a training-ground bust-up with boss Mark Warburton in the wake of September's 5-1 Old Firm drubbing by Celtic.
But it appears the end of his suspension is only aimed at allowing him to work on his fitness ahead of an expected January departure.
Rangers said in a statement: "Joey Barton has been told he will return to full-time training following the conclusion of a disciplinary procedure.
"The Auchenhowie management team will inform the player of appropriate training arrangements to which he must adhere for as long as he remains a Rangers player. Neither the club nor the player will comment further."
Moussa Dembele's late goal gave Celtic a deserved 1-0 win over Rangers at Hampden ParkRead the full story ›
Rangers have decided to extend Joey Barton's suspension from the club by an extra week as a "formal disciplinary procedure" continues.
Barton was due to report for training on Monday after serving a month-long ban imposed by the club in the wake of a row with manager Mark Warburton and teammate Andy Halliday.
Joey Barton has been informed that his suspension by the club has been extended by one week.
This is part of a formal disciplinary procedure and Joey has been instructed not return to Ibrox or Auchenhowie [training ground] until further notice.
Neither party [the club and player] will make any further statement or comment.
Tributes have been paid to Rangers fan Ryan Baird who was killed when a supporters' bus he was travelling on crashed in East Ayrshire.Read the full story ›
The Rangers outcast allegedly backed rivals Celtic to lose as new quotes emerge in which he offends both Scottish clubs and his team-mates.Read the full story ›
Joey Barton is under investigation for allegedly breaking football betting rules, Press Association Sport understands.
The controversial Rangers midfielder was banned from the club on Monday for three weeks after a training ground altercation following the 5-1 defeat to Celtic.
The Scottish Football Association and the Gambling Commission are looking into claims that the 34-year-old bet on Celtic to suffer a heavy defeat to Barcelona last Tuesday night. Brendan Rodgers' side lost 7-0 in their Champions League Group C opener in the Nou Camp.
The SFA has a strict no-betting policy on football games and if found guilty Barton could face a ban.
Rangers have suspended Joey Barton for three weeks in the wake of a training-ground row.
After being banished for most of last week, Barton reported at Ibrox this morning for a meeting with manager Mark Warburton and board members. And his future at the club remains in serious doubt.
A club statement read: "Joey Barton has today been suspended by the club and will not return to Ibrox or Auchenhowie for a period of three weeks.
"The manager, Mark Warburton, and club believe that time and space is required for both the club and the player to assess all that has happened.
"Neither party will make any further statement or comment on this issue."
Rangers will be playing top flight football next season after clinching the Ladbrokes Championship with a narrow 1-0 home win over Dumbarton.
After re-emerging at the bottom tier of Scottish football in 2012 in the wake of their financial meltdown, the Govan club's trek to the Premiership ended with a second half goal from right-back James Tavernier in front of a packed Ibrox.
Former team-mates of ex-Rangers midfielder Arnold Peralta led the tributes after the Honduras international was killed in a shootingRead the full story ›
Sports Direct and Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has failed in his High Court bid to have Rangers chairman Dave King jailed for breaching a gagging order.
Ashley's company launched legal action against the Ibrox club and their chairman over an alleged breach of an injunction.
King was accused of breaking undertakings by giving a media interview in which he revealed the existence and contents of meetings related to contracts with Sports Direct.
The interview took place in South Africa and was filmed for Sky Sports in July.
Mr Justice Peter Smith, sitting in London, said after a morning hearing that he intends to reject the jailing application for reasons he will give on Thursday afternoon.