Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) made a £469 million loss in the third quarter and confirmed that it will miss a 2017 deadline to sell off its Williams & Glyn branch network.
The figure compares with a profit of £940 million in the same period last year, when the bank's balance sheet was boosted by the sale of US bank Citizens.
The lender, which is still 73% owned by the government, said that despite "positive discussions" with interested parties on the sale of Williams & Glyn, it will miss its 2017 deadline.
RBS must offload the Williams & Glyn branches by the end of next year as part of EU conditions linked to its £45 billion bailout at the height of the financial crisis.
The bank was also hit by £425 million in conduct and litigation charges, largely linked to the sale of mortgage-backed securities in the US and £469 million in restructuring costs.
Ross McEwan's comments come after the Bank of England cut its interest rate to a record low of 0.25%.Read the full story ›
RBS chief executive Ross McEwan has told ITV News the economic outlook remains challenging and his bank are reviewing the situation.Read the full story ›
The chief executive of the state-owned bank blames the loss on "many of the legacy issues that have plagued this bank."Read the full story ›
The study, conducted by the European Banking Authority, looked at how much capital would be used up in adverse economic conditions.Read the full story ›
The Crown Office said there was "insufficient evidence" to take action against Goodwin or any other individuals over the bank's failure.Read the full story ›
The Royal Bank of Scotland has reported a first quarter pre-tax loss of £968 million - more than double last year's of £446 million.
The loss reflects the impact of its £1.2 billion payment last month to the Treasury to buy out a crucial part of its £45 billion bailout.
The payment ended a dividend access share (DAS) agreement with the Government which was put in place in 2009 and prevented it paying dividends to any shareholders before the Treasury.
The bank said: "RBS remains on track with its plan to build a strong, simple, fair bank for customers and shareholders."
Chief executive Ross McEwan has promised to "clean up" the bank.Read the full story ›
A fault which left RBS and NatWest customers unable to login to their online banking yesterday has been blamed on a 'cyber attack'.
A spokesman for the bank said: "The issues that some customers experienced accessing online banking on Friday was due to a surge in internet traffic deliberately directed at the website.
"This deliberate surge of traffic is commonly known as a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack. At no time was there any risk to customers."