Live updates

England fans reported to FIFA for alleged racist chants

The claims of racism marred England's easy 8-0 victory against the football minnows. Credit: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire

An anti-racism group has filed a complaint to FIFA over alleged racist chanting towards Rio and Anton Ferdinand by a section of England football fans during last week's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.

The group, Football Against Racism in Europe, filed the complaint after Friday's 8-0 victory in Serraville.

Rio Ferdinand pulled out of the squad because the fixture apparently clashed with his training programme.

It was the first time the Manchester United defender had been selected for the national team since his brother's high-profile racism court battle with former England captain John Terry.

Rio Ferdinand defends 15-hour round trip to Qatar

Rio Ferdinand has defended his decision to fly to Qatar to be a TV pundit for England’s match against San Marino despite having to withdraw from the squad through injury.

The Manchester United defender has flown to Doha, which is a 15-hour round trip, to work as a pundit for Al Jazeera as they present live coverage of the game, according to the Daily Mail.

The 34-year-old - who suffers from a chronic back problem - announced his decision to withdraw from the squad on Monday due to his “intricate pre-planned programme”.

Ferdinand was quick to defend his decision on Twitter:

Advertisement

Hodgson recalls Rio Ferdinand to England squad

Rio Ferdinand, who has won 81 caps, last played for England in June 2011. Credit: Neal Simpson/EMPICS Sport

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has been recalled to the England football squad by national team manager Roy Hodgson for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.

It is the first call-up for Ferdinand since he was omitted from the Euro 2012 squad, explained away by Hodgson at the time for "footballing reasons" rather than for any conflict with Chelsea captain John Terry, who was involved in a racism row with Ferdinand's brother Anton.

Terry's retirement from international football has opened the door for Ferdinand's return to the team and Hodgson has confirmed: "He's in the squad in order to play rather than to make up the numbers."

Ferdinand declines to make complaint over coin incident

Rio Ferdinand has declined to make an official complaint after a coin hit him in the Manchester derby, police confirmed.

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand holds his head after being hit by a coin. Credit: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

The Manchester United defender was cut above his left eye at the end of the match at Manchester City's home ground, the Etihad Stadium, on December 9.

A spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said: "He (Ferdinand) did not put in a formal complaint about the matter.

"He was asked if he wanted to but he didn't. We are still making inquiries and trying to identify this person from CCTV footage."

Advertisement

City fan who confronted Rio Ferdinand gets three year ban

A Manchester City fan who stormed on to the football field to confront Rio Ferdinand at the end of a stormy Manchester Derby match has been banned from attending football matches for three years.

Matthew Stott, 21, of Southfields in Cheshire, was told he came close to going to prison, but instead his 56 days jail term was suspended for 12 months.

Joe Hart holds back a fan as he goes towards Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand Credit: Martin Rickett/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Stott had to be restrained by City keeper Joe Hart from confronting Ferdinand, who was already bleeding from a cut caused by a coin thrown from the stands at the end of the explosive local grudge match on December 9.

The landscape gardener, who had sunk eight pints of lager before kick-off, pleaded guilty to encroaching on the field of play and using insulting words or behaviour.

A steward comes to assist as Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart (L) holds back a angry fan Credit: Martin Rickett/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Ferdinand: 'UEFA are not serious at all on racism'

England players have responded negatively to UEFA's punishment of the Serbian FA over racist chants from its fans:

Teenager arrested over Manchester derby racist tweet

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested by police investigating a racist tweet sent during Sunday's Manchester derby.

A Greater Manchester Police statement said:

Police investigating a racist tweet sent during Sunday's Manchester derby have made an arrest.

An investigation was launched following a message directed at a Manchester United player.

A 15-year-old boy was last night arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.

He has been bailed pending further enquiries.

Man City suspend pitch invader's season ticket

The Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch in a bid to confront Rio Ferdinand has had his season ticket removed and faces a lifetime ban if he is found guilty of a charge of pitch encroachment.

A Manchester City spokesman said: "His season card has been immediately removed for the rest of the season and he has been charged to appear at court. If he is found guilty he faces a lifetime ban".

Load more updates