Live updates

Advertisement

Four men charged over child sexual exploitation in Rochdale

Four men have been charged as part of an ongoing investigation to tackle child sexual exploitation in Rochdale, Greater Manchester Police has said.

The charges relate to offences committed against one victim who was under 16 at the time of the abuse by different men.

Hadi Jamel of Yorkshire Street, Rochdale has been charged with one count of sexual activity with a child.

Abid Khan of Whitney Road, Liverpool has been charged with three counts of sexual activity with a child.

Mohammed Zahid of Croxton Avenue, Rochdale has been charged with one count of sexual activity with a child.

Raja Abid Khan of Palatine Street, Rochdale has been charged with one count of sexual activity with a child.

They are all due to appear at Bury and Rochdale magistrates’ court on Tuesday.

No charges after nine Brits stopped at Syria border

The family was stopped near the Syrian border earlier this month.

Six people from Rochdale have been released without charge after a group of Brits were stopped near the Syrian border weeks ago, Greater Manchester Police said.

The six people, aged between 21 and 47, were arrested under the Terrorism Act, with five returned to the UK from Turkey and one arrested in Rochdale.

The arrests came after nine people were stopped by Turkish authorities near the Syrian border.

Following the release, police said: "No evidence was uncovered to suggest any imminent threat to the communities of Rochdale or the U.K."

Advertisement

Serious failures uncovered by Rochdale police report

Seven police officers involved in the failed investigation of widespread child sex abuse in Rochdale will not face any disciplinary action.

Greater Manchester Police has admitted the force was focused on tackling robbery and burglary rather than listening to the claims of young, vulnerable victims who were being sexually exploited by older men.

ITV News' Carolyn Sim reports.

Rochdale police chief: Children 'put themselves at risk'

The key to preventing child sexual exploitation is stopping young people who are "determined to put themselves at risk", from running away from care homes, the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police said.

Sir Peter Fahy insisted that the police had learned lessons after an investigation highlighted "significant failures" in the handling of widespread abuse in Rochdale.

Sir Peter Fahy rejected calls for a full independent inquiry into the force's actions. Credit: PA

The chief constable rejected calls from ex-detective Margaret Oliver for a full independent inquiry into the force's actions.

"The issue is that we still haven't solved the key issue behind CSE (child sexual exploitation) which is: how do you protect vulnerable young people who are determined unfortunately to put themselves at risk, that don't understand the degree to which they are making themselves vulnerable," he told BBC Radio 4's Today.

Asked if he saw the problem as being children putting themselves at risk, he went on: "Yes absolutely. Because of their upbringing, because of their difficult situation and because they are in care, every single day we have large numbers running away.

Police 'failed to recognise scale' of Rochdale abuse

Police have admitted they failed to respond adequately to child sexual exploitation in Rochdale.

IPCC Commissioner James Dipple-Johnstone said:

There was a failure to recognise the seriousness and scale of what was happening in Rochdale.

It is appalling that young girls were being exploited and abused and the police did not handle it properly.

Greater Manchester Police has admitted that the focus in Rochdale was on tackling volume crime such as robbery and burglary.

The force simply did not recognise how to respond to child sexual exploitation on this scale.

– Commissioner James Dipple-Johnstone

Children in Rochdale 'still at risk'

An ex-detective said a report on police failures in the Rochdale child sex abuse scandal gave no new insights and that children in the area were still at risk.

Margaret Oliver said: "I know of men who have never been arrested, who are still walking the streets of Rochdale, who victims have named and accused of abusing them."

A gang of Asian men were jailed in 2012 for grooming girls as young as 13. Credit: GMP/PA Wire

Oliver called for a full independent investigation of the kind carried out into similar problems in Rotherham.

"Virtually everything that is in that report today we were very well aware of in December 2010. The question that begs to be asked is why it has taken seven years to report that when that was widely known five years ago by all the officers working on Operation Span," she told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

"This was an opportunity, which has been missed again, to bring it all this out into the open. It is a nationwide problem and there is still an overwhelming desire to conceal the truth."

Load more updates