Romanian officials say the number of deaths in a Bucharest nightclub fire could rise "significantly" according to The Associated Press.
BREAKING: Romanian officials say number of deaths in Bucharest nightclub fire could rise "significantly."
Forensic experts have begun carrying out autopsies of the victims of a fire and stampede in a Romanian nightclub which killed 27 people and injured 180.
Romania's government declared three days of national mourning on Saturday after the incident at the Colectiv Club in Bucharest.
Deputy Interior Minister Raed Arafat said 17 of the 27 dead had yet to be identified and 146 people remained in hospital. He said no fire permit was requested by the club nor granted to them by the Bucharest firefighting department.
"Unfortunately, the death toll may change taking into account the severity of their injuries," Arafat said after an emergency meeting early on Saturday.
Prime Minister Victor Pontaordered checks on clubs across the country to see whether safety and fire standards are being observed.
The Romanian nightclub where 27 people died in an explosion during a rock concert last night "only had two exits", according to a local journalist who has been to the venue.
Sorin Bogdan told ITV News that when a pillar and part of the club's ceiling went up in flames panicked concert goers would have been trying to escape "where only a small exit existed."
Several witnesses said there had been fireworks used during a rock concert inside the club.Read the full story ›
Police and medical crews rushed to the scene following a blast at a nightclub in the Romanian capital of Bucharest.
TV footage showed police officers and paramedics trying to resuscitate young people lying on the pavement, while sirens wailed as more ambulances deployed to the scene.
Reuters reported a witness as saying there had been fireworks inside the club and that a pillar and the club ceiling caught fire before the explosion occurred.
Twenty five clubbers are dead in a Bucharest nightclub blast and at least 88 people have been admitted to hospital, government officials said.
"There are 25 deaths so far," Deputy Prime Minister Gabriel Oprea told private television Antena 3 from the scene, where dozens of ambulances and firetrucks rushed to evacuate the injured.
The explosion was reportedly caused by a firework, according to local media.
Deputy Interior Minister Raed Arafat said the death toll may still climb at the club, called Colectiv, which hosted a rock concert attended by up to 400 clubbers.
"There was a stampede of people running out of the club," a man who escaped without shoes told Reuters.
At least 18 people were killed in a blast in a Bucharest nightclub, a government spokesman has confirmed.
Dozens are also believed to be injured in the explosion, which was reportedly caused by a firework.
A witness told local station Realitatea TV one of the fireworks exploded and burned scaffolding that supported the pyrotechnic material.
The scaffolding fell on people who were inside the club and victims claimed the ceiling collapsed.
Victims have reportedly suffered severe burns and others were being resuscitated on the pavement outside of the venue.
Priests trudged through deep snow in a remote Romanian mountain range today to inaugurate a very unusual church.
The chapel is built entirely from ice and snow, and forms part of the Hotel of Ice at Balea Lake in the Fagaras Mountains.
The church, which is covered with decorations and even has an altar carved from ice, will accommodate a busy schedule of weddings, baptisms and concerts.
The Hotel of Ice accommodates guests in 12 double rooms, where the temperature hovers between -2 and 2 degrees Celsius.
The Chancellor George Osborne has insisted the government will continue to fight for Britain and British interests in Europe.
His comments come after reports from Germany that Chancellor Angela Merkel has threatened to withdraw her support for keeping Britain in the EU if David Cameron continued in his drive to curb immigration from other EU countries, in defiance of the EU policy on the free movement of people.
Former Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu has failed to obtain a Indian visa after being turned away by their embassy in Bucharest for being drunk, according to reports in Gazzetta dello Sport.
Mutu, 35, has signed a three-month deal to play for FC Pune City in the newly-formed Indian Super League, but his arrival in the country has now been delayed.
The ex-Romania international reportedly arrived 'visibly drunk' at the embassy and threatened staff when proceedings dragged on.
Due to his inebriation and behaviour Mutu was asked to return sober at a later date to get his visa.
Mutu is no stranger to controversy having been sacked by Chelsea in 2004 after testing positive for cocaine.