World number one Rory McIlroy has confirmed his intention to defend his US PGA Championship title this weekend at Whistling Straits.
McIlroy has spent the past few days practising on the Wisconsin course, having been sidelined since early July when he suffered a rupture of his left ankle ligaments during a game of football with friends.
However, he has said he is now fit and ready to return.
"If anything, my ankle feels even better when I swing hard," he told the Daily Mail.
The 26-year-old's injury ruled him out of the Scottish Open and the defence of his Open but he has been playing since the Monday that Zach Johnson inherited his Open crown.
"I've played a lot of golf since then, just finding the middle of the clubface again," he said. "And I've been chipping and putting basically since it happened, with my protective boot on...
"I did think about coming back last week at the Bridgestone but Steve (McGregor, his fitness coach) held me back. He thought it important for me to basically play a tournament behind closed doors and after I completed that successfully, it felt the right time to come.
"I'm ready to play and I expect to do well."
Rory McIlroy has confirmed he will miss the Open Championship at St Andrew's due to an ankle injury.
The Northern Irishman injured himself playing football with friends and confirmed via Instagram that he will miss the tournament.
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
World number one Rory McIlroy has revealed that he has ruptured ligaments in his left ankle playing football.
McIlroy announced the news via Twitter, with an accompanying photograph on Instagram showing himself on crutches and wearing a protective boot.
The news comes less than a fortnight after McIlroy was due to defend his Open Championship title, although the Northern Irishman has perhaps optimistically not yet ruled himself out of the event at St Andrews.
McIlory's showdown with double major winner Jordan Spieth was expected to be the highlight of the Open, which takes place at St Andrews on July 16-19.
Recovery from injuries such as the one reported by McIlroy can take weeks or, in the worst cases, months and even require surgery. McIlroy has, as yet, given no details on the anticipated timescale for his recovery.
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
All eyes were on Rory McIlroy as he began his bid to complete the career grand slam on Thursday, but it was Ryder Cup team-mate Justin Rose who made a flying start to the 79th Masters.
McIlroy is looking to join Gene Sarazan, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods in winning all four grand slam titles by claiming a first green jacket at Augusta National.
But after a drive of more than 320 yards on the opening hole and an approach to 10 feet, the 25-year-old missed out on a first ever birdie on the first at the 23rd attempt.
The world number one then hooked his drive on the second into the trees and ended up in a narrow creek, but after taking a penalty drop was able to pitch out to the fairway and hit a superb approach to save par.
McIlroy was four shots off the early pace being set by American Charley Hoffman, who had hit the first shot of the tournament at 7:45am - following the traditional opening ceremony - and was four under par with two holes to play.
Can Rory McIlroy join the history books and complete a career grand slam by winning his first green jacket and third major in a row?Read the full story ›
One Direction singer Niall Horan acted as Rory McIlroy's caddie ahead of this week's Masters in Augusta.
The pop star proved he should stick to singing after badly hooking a tee shot on the ninth into the water.
"I apologise to golf," Horan joked. "I do perform to a lot of people but we were performing to their parents today! There was a lot of pressure."
McIlroy, who is looking to become the sixth player to complete the career grand slam by winning a first Masters title on Sunday, added: "I wanted to do this because it's a big week for me and just to go into the tournament in a relaxed mood. To spend a couple of hours like this was fun."
Rory McIlroy will have One Direction singer Niall Horan carrying his bag in today's par-three tournament ahead of the MastersRead the full story ›
World number one Rory McIlroy admits he does not love golf as much as he used to when he played with "just pure joy" as a childRead the full story ›
World number one Rory McIlroy apologised for throwing his three iron into a water hazard after more erratic playRead the full story ›
Rory McIlroy's settlement with his former agent is worth more than £13million after the two came to an out of court agreement, Press Association report.
The golfer was suing Conor Ridge, of Horizon Sports Management regarding the cut the agent was taking from McIlroy's earnings.
"It's in the public domain that the amount of money owing under the contract and the money likely to be generated from the the contract was 20 million dollars," a source said.
McIlroy had sued Mr Ridge's agency over the cut his firm was taking from on and off-course earnings in a potentially ugly row over £4.2million in fees.
A brief statement agreed between the McIlroy and Ridge camps was released following the hearing.
"The legal dispute between Rory McIlroy and Horizon Sports Management has been settled to the satisfaction of both parties, who wish each other well for the future," it said.
"The parties will be making no further comment."