Children as young as 11 were raped by large groups of men, a new inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham has found.
A report into 16 years of child sexual abuse in Rotherham has concluded that the true scale of exploitation in the town will never be known.
A woman, now 28, tells ITV News authorities in Rotherham did not act despite being aware she was being sexually exploited by an older man.
One of the 1,400 victims of child sex abuse highlighted in a report spanning 16 years has said she believes the attacks are still going on today.
She told ITV News that the kind of exploitation outlined in Prof Alexis Jay's dossier was "every day life" for young people in Rotherham.
It comes as the former head of children's services, Sonia Sharp, admitted she knew about the sexual abuse going on in Rotherham as long ago as 2005.
ITV News correspondent Damon Green reports:
The Children's Minister has written to Rotherham Council to demand answers in the wake of a damning report into the sexual exploitation of children in care.
Edward Timpson has given council bosses two weeks - until September 12 - to respond with details of the action being taken to address the issues highlighted in the report.
In his letter, he said:
– Edward Timpson, Children's Minister
I have read, with horror, the appalling findings of the report into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham.
Like many others, I found the scale of the failure to safeguard children, over such a long period, genuinely shocking.
My interest is in ensuring, quickly, that the current arrangements for safeguarding children in Rotherham, in particular in respect of child sexual exploitation, are robust and enable children there to grow up as safely as possible.
Ofsted will carry out an early inspection of Rotherham Council's child protection and looked-after children's services.
In the wake of a report which found 1,400 children were sexually abused while in care at the council over a 16-year period, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan said she had agreed with Ofsted to pull the inspection forward.
– Education Secretary Nicky Morgan
I will not hesitate to take further action if necessary to ensure children are safe.
The deputy South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner has resigned over a damning report into child sexual abuse in Rotherham - and called for the police and crime commissioner to follow suit.
Tracey Cheetham said she felt unable to continue" in the role, and added:
– Tracey Cheetham, former South Yorkshire deputy police and crime commissioner
It is vital for people to have confidence in the office of police and crime commissioner and, with this in mind, I believe it would have been the right thing for Shaun Wright to resign.
The Prime Minister has echoed calls for South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner Shaun Wright to quit, saying it would be "the right decision."
In the wake of a damning report into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, David Cameron said:
– Prime Minister David Cameron
The right decision would be to resign and take full responsibility for what happened.
Mr Wright, a former Labour councillor, headed up Rotherham's child services for five years during the 16-year period when 1,400 children in care were abused, and became police and crime commissioner in 2012.
The report by Prof Alexis Jay revealed more than 150 allegations were reported last year, and were "ongoing" today.
Council workers failed to act on allegations of widespread child sexual exploitation in Rotherham because they simply believed victims "weren't worth saving", the former deputy leader at Rotherham Council has claimed.
Speaking to ITV News, Jahangir Akhtar rejected suggestions that workers were afraid to identify perpetrators as Asian for fear of being branded racist were "very disingenuous" and a "get out".
– Jahangir Akhtar, ex-deputy leader at Rotherham Council
People did not act because they thought these young vulnerable girls weren't worth saving. I think that's a copout. That's my personal opinion.
He said it was clear that "collectively we have failed young vulnerable children".
A South Yorkshire Police officer previously based in Rotherham has been charged with causing a 15-year-old girl to engage in sexual activity.
Daniel Cookson, aged 27, appeared at Leeds Magistrates Court today to face the allegation.
The force said the charge relates to an alleged offence committed between March and November last year, and Cookson was suspended when he was arrested in November.
Cookson was bailed to appear at Leeds Crown Court on September 11.
It is understood that the allegation is not related in any way to wider issues of child abuse in Rotherham.
The Crime Prevention Minister has voiced concern after a report accused South Yorkshire Police of "failings" in the way it handled reports of child sexual abuse.
It comes after a report by Prof Alexis Jay said the force had treated victims with "contempt" and did not believe what they were saying.
Minister Norman Baker described violent attacks like rape as "devastating crimes that ruin lives", and demanded that the force acts on recommendations for improvement immediately.
– Norman Baker, Crime Prevention Minister
We expect every report to be taken seriously, every crime to be recorded, every investigation to be conducted thoroughly and professionally, and every victim to be treated with dignity.
We are very concerned that there are now two reports that suggest that there have been failings in the way South Yorkshire Police deals with vulnerable victims.
Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary has set out clear recommendations for improvement - both in relation to crime recording and child sexual exploitation.
We expect the force to act on these immediately to regain the confidence of victims and the wider public.
Ch Supt Jason Harwin has offered an "unreserved" apology to victims.
Scandal-hit South Yorkshire Police currently have 173 live investigations into suspected child sexual exploitation, it has emerged.
It comes after a report revealed 1,400 children were sexually exploited over a 16-year period in Rotherham - and criticised the force for considering many of the young victims with "contempt".
The 173 investigations include 32 ongoing reports in Rotherham itself.
Labour MP John Mann said PCC Shaun Wright has "no credibility" and it is "extraordinary" that the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner has not yet quit his role.
"He's about the only person left in South Yorkshire who thinks he's fit to be the Police Commissioner. He needs to go," Mann told ITV News.