Live updates

Crime panel refers South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner to IPCC

South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Panel has passed a vote of no confidence in the Police and Crime Commissioner, Shaun Wright.

The chairman of the panel, Harry Harpham, said he had also referred two complaints which he had received about Mr Wright to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The panel has been questioning him about a report into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham which revealed at least 1400 children in the town were subject to abuse between 1997 and 2013.

Member of public tells embattled PCC 'I would shoot you'

South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) Shaun Wright has faced angry calls from members of the public for him to resign, including the grandfather of an alleged victim of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham who told him: "If I had a gun I would shoot you."

Shaun Wright. Credit: Lynne Cameron/PA Wire

Mr Wright was confronted by the man as he appeared to answer public questions at South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Panel today. Speaking from the public gallery, the man said his 12-year-old granddaughter was arrested for being drunk and disorderly by police officers who let her four adult abusers go free.

The man said: "You were a disgrace, mate. If I had a gun I would shoot you." Mr Wright responded, saying: "Clearly, if that took place, it's an absolute disgrace."

Advertisement

Rotherham police chief to face new grilling

Police chief Shaun Wright has so far refused to resign despite repeated calls to do so. Credit: PA

Under-fire South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) Shaun Wright is expected to face more calls for him to go today as he is grilled by the panel which oversees his work.

Mr Wright has resisted calls for him to resign since the publication of the Jay Report into child sexual exploitation (CSE) in Rotherham, which detailed how at least 1,400 children were abused.

The report found they were subjected to horrors including rape, violence and trafficking for sex between 1997 and 2013.

Before his election in 2012 Mr Wright was a councillor in Rotherham for more than a decade and was responsible for children's services from 2005 to 2010.

Calls for him to step down have been led by Prime Minister David Cameron, Home Secretary Theresa May, and Labour leader Ed Miliband.

But he has resisted every challenge and when Labour threatened to throw him out of the party, he resigned his membership.

Pickles: Rotherham Council 'failed on many levels'

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles says he has called in independent inspection of Rotherham Council because of "clearly documented failures" in the handling of reports of child abuse.

One of the most important duties of local authorities is the protection of vulnerable children.

With clearly documented failures by the Council on so many levels, I have decided to take the rare step of a statutory inspection, which I believe is in the public interest.

– Eric Pickles, Communities Secretary

Rotherham abuse reports 'missing from archive'

The outgoing chief executive of Rotherham Council has said a number of crucial reports relating to the town's abuse scandal are not on the authority's archive.

Martin Kimber said he had only seen one of three crucial reports in full. Credit: Dave Higgens/PA Wire

The Jay report - which claimed as many as 1,400 children had been subjected to sexual exploitation - said reports written in 2002, 2003 and 2006 should have made it plain to senior figures what was going on in the town.

However, Martin Kimber - who announced his resignation last week - said that despite "extensive enquiries" he had been able to locate only a partial copy of the 2002 report, had not seen the 2003 report at all and saw the 2006 report "for the first time on Sunday".

Asked if there was a suggestion that the documents had been actively destroyed, Mr Kimber said: "I don't know they've actively been destroyed. All I can say is I cannot find them. They are not within the council's archive."

Rotherham Council to face independent inspection

Louise Casey will lead the inspection. Credit: Ian Nicholson/PA Archive

Rotherham Council is set to face an independent inspection after a report revealed 1,400 children were sexually abused in the town over more than a decade.

The inspection will be led by Louise Casey, the head of the Government's troubled families programme, and will examine whether the council covered up information about the abuse.

Ms Casey's inspection will consider the council's governance, its services for children and young people, and taxi and private hire licensing.

It will also examine whether the council "was and continues to be subject to institutionalised political correctness affecting its decision-making on sensitive issues".

Advertisement

Calls for emergency laws to sack under fire PCC

Keith Vaz said he would be writing to Home Secretary Teresa May Credit: PA Wire

Calls have been made for emergency laws to be brought in to remove South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Shaun Wright over the Rotherham child abuse scandal.

Mr Wright, the former head of children and young people's service in the town, claims he was unaware of the problem and has repeatedly refused calls for him to stand down.

But a Home Affairs committee told him his claims were "entirely unconvincing" and called for him to quit the elected role.

Committee chairman Keith Vaz said he would be writing to Home Secretary Theresa May to call for emergency laws to be brought in to allow PCC's to be removed from their post.

A report found at least 1,400 children had been abused between 1997 and 2013.

Read more: South Yorks PCC: Resigning would have been easy option

Wright: Resigning would have been easy option

South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Shaun Wright has told MPs "resigning would have been the easy option" in the wake of the Rotherham child abuse report.

Shaun Wright giving evidence to MPs.

Wright, the former head of children and young people's services in Rotherham, has repeatedly refused to stand down following the release of the report highlighting the scale of child sex exploitation in the area.

A report found at least 1,400 children had been subjected to abuse between 1997 and 2013.

Head of Rotherham children's services refuses to resign

By Juliet Bremner: ITV News Correspondent

Joyce Thacker speaking to MPs today.

Joyce Thacker says she will not resign as a director of child services at Rotherham despite repeated demands from MPs on the Home Affairs Committee.

She said she did everything possible to improve services to make people understand that there was a problem with child exploitation in Rotherham .

Alleged victim felt 'physically sick' at ex-police chief's evidence

An alleged victim of child sex exploitation in Rotherham has told ITV Calendar she felt "physically sick" at hearing ex-South Yorkshire Police chief constable Meredydd Hughes' evidence to MPs.

As Mr Hughes attempted to answer questions in front of the Home Select Committee, the alleged victim said:"What is he doing? I don't see the point in him coming if he can't remember anything."

"Oh, he can't remember again, look," she added.

Earlier Mr Hughes said he had "failed" the victims of the abuse, but insisted he had "no idea" of the scale of the crimes.

Load more updates