Live updates

Advertisement

Aston Villa deny Keane had bust-up with players

Former assistant manager Roy Keane did not have a training ground bust-up with players, according to Aston Villa.

Keane left his role at the Birmingham club on Friday, saying he could not combine his duties there with a similar job with the Republic of Ireland national team.

Roy Keane resigned last week. Credit: PA

Newspaper reports claimed the former Manchester United midfielder had a confrontation with senior members of the Villa squad the day prior to resigning.

Roy Keane steps down from Aston Villa role

Keane has left Aston Villa with immediate effect. Credit: PA

Roy Keane has quit his role as Aston Villa's assistant manager with immediate effect, the club have announced.

The 43-year-old had been splitting his time between Villa and his job as Martin O'Neill's number two with the Republic of Ireland.

But Keane has stepped down from the Barclays Premier League club ahead of their trip to Burnley on Saturday.

Keane said in a statement: "Ultimately, my roles with Villa and Ireland and combining my commitment to these have become too much.

"It isn't fair to either Villa or Ireland, so I've made this decision.

"I'd like to thank Paul for giving me a great opportunity to come to a brilliant football club, I've really enjoyed my experiences at Villa and I wish the management team, the players, the supporters and the club nothing but the best going forward."

Roy Keane calls for Everton and Ireland talks

Roy Keane has called for talks between the Republic of Ireland and Everton coaching staffs over the management of the Toffees' internationals.

Republic assistant Keane and manager Martin O'Neill are hoping Seamus Coleman, Darron Gibson and James McCarthy can help them qualify for Euro 2016.

Midfielder McCarthy has missed the last three qualifiers through injury, though, including Friday's loss to Scotland, while Coleman also missed last month's draw with Germany.

I worry that he (McCarthy) is under lots of pressure, particularly from Everton's point of view.

Because every time there is an international match it does seem to be Seamus (Coleman) and James (McCarthy) under lots of pressure. They're turning up or they mightn't turn up, or they're struggling.

You always get the impression from Everton that Seamus and James are both barely able to walk, that type of thing. So when they actually turn up and they are walking through the reception, 'Praise the Lord, it's a miracle'.

There has to be, I think, some sort of sit-down conversation and say, 'Listen, I think Martin's been more than good enough here, particularly the friendlies but these are big qualifying matches now'.

– Republic of Ireland assistant manager Roy Keane.

Advertisement

Roy Keane hints at celebrity jungle appearance

How would Roy Keane get on in the jungle? Credit: PA

Republic of Ireland and Aston Villa assistant Roy Keane has hinted he may appear in "I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!" one day.

The former Man United captain worked for ITV Football as a pundit after retiring and recently released an autobiography criticising a string of former team-mates and managers.

TV bosses have tried and failed to get the outspoken Irishman on Celebrity Big Brother and the jungle in recent years, but the 43 year-old could be warming to the idea.

"I met the jungle people but I thought, 'Nah, not for me,'" he told Shortlist Magazine.

"But the more you say 'no', the more determined they are to get you, so who knows? There's more to life than football."

Load more updates