Live updates

Massive fire engulfs Sao Paulo toy factory

Scores of firefighters have been called to tackle a huge blaze at a toy factory in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo.

More than 20 fire enginers arrived on the scene, with 160 firefighters working to put out the fire in the city, which is one of the venues for the football World Cup.

It is not yet clear how the fire began, but officials have said there have not been any casualties.

Polio virus found in sewege at Sao Paulo airport

The polio virus has been found in sewage samples near Sao Paulo in Brazil, one of the host cities for the current World Cup football tournament, the World Health Organization said.

No human case of the disease has been reported in Brazil so far.

Cristiano Ronaldo at the Viracopos airport where polio virus has been found Credit: Reuters

The polio virus found was found in sewage collected in March at Viracopos International Airport. It is a close match with a recent strain isolated in a case in Equatorial Guinea, the organisation said.

Several national football teams have arrived to Sao Paulo via the Viracopos airport.

The United Nations agency said that it assessed the risk of further international spread of polio virus from Brazil as "very low."

Brazil has been polio-free since 1989.

Advertisement

Explosives thrown at England fans in Sao Paulo

Ten England fans are in hospital after being attacked in Sao Paulo.

Hooded men threw glass bottles and explosive devices towards the group.

The extent of the injuries is not yet known.

This footage is courtesy of TV Globo:

The video shows police arresting fourteen people who were found with additional explosives in their bags.

The attackers were wearing hoods and dark clothing and were not identified with any particular team.

Click here to watch England v Uruguay live on ITV Player

British Consulate 'not aware' of any injured fans

The British Consulate have released a statement saying they are aware of an incident involving England fans, but not aware of any casualties.

The statement read: "We are aware of an incident affecting fans around the area of the Fan Festival in Sao Paulo.

"We are working with the local authorities to establish the facts. No British nationals are believed to have been injured."

Read: 14 arrested after attack at fan fest in Sao Paulo

Military police numbers increase for World Cup start

With only a few hours to go before the opening ceremony of the Fifa World Cup 2014, military police have increased their numbers to deal with the expectant crowds.

ITV News correspondent Dan Rivers tweets from Sao Paulo:

Dan_b_w_normal

Military police preparing for the opening if the World Cup in SP. Building sense of excitement here. http://t.co/owL6aEV8y6

Bp66ep4icaaban3
Dan_b_w_normal

I've never seen so many cops! As far as the eye can see - these forces will be guarding stadium in SP http://t.co/H5p9i8dJ1u

Bp69xipigae7f7t

More: World Cup 2014 kicks-off in Brazil today

Sao Paulo monorail collapse kills worker

A concrete support beam collapsed on a monorail in Sao Paulo, killing a construction worker. Credit: Reuters

Police in Brazil's biggest city say a construction worker has been killed in an accident on a monorail meant to expand Sao Paulo's transport network.

The worker was hit by a large concrete support beam that fell while being erected.

An investigation into the cause of the accident is underway.

More: Sao Paulo subway strike suspended for two days

Advertisement

Sao Paulo subway staff announce 'open ended' strike

Commuters get on the train in a subway station in Sao Paulo May 21, 2014. Credit: Reuters/Paulo Whitaker

Workers on Sao Paulo's subway system have announced they will launch an open-ended strike, the latest to hit Brazil in the run-up to the World Cup, News agency AFP have reported.

The strike raises fears of transport chaos in the Brazilian economic capital, a sprawling city of 20 million people, one week before it hosts the opening match on 12th June.

More: Protests in Brazil over money spent on World Cup

Damaged Brazil stadium 'will be ready for World Cup'

A fatal construction accident at Sao Paulo's World Cup stadium may delay its opening until February, but FIFA is not worried about it being ready for the World Cup, Reuters has reported.

A preliminary investigation into yesterday's accident indicated that damage was confined to the concourse area and did not affect the stands that could have taken longer to fix, a Reuters source said.

Two people were killed after a crane collapsed at the Corinthians Arena. Credit: REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

FIFA has said all World Cup stadiums must be finished by the end of December, but that would appear impossible in Sao Paolo following the accident.

FIFA said earlier today it would not know the length of the delay at the venue "until next week at the earliest".

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories