Live updates

Beauty pageant contest descends into mass brawl

Police were called to a beauty contest in Scarborough after a mass brawl broke out when supporters of one of the contestants claimed the competition was a fix.

Security were kicked and punched after a woman was eliminated from the Miss Scarborough beauty contest.

There were also chants of "fix" from a section of the audience at the Scarborough Fair Collection in Lebberston, according to the Yorkshire Post.

Picture shows Miss Scarborough line up with Shannon Colling (C) the girl who was eliminated. Credit: Johnston Press© Ross Parry / SWNS Group

Miss England organiser Angie Beasley said: "It’s a great shame that it was ruined by thugs".

Picture shows the Miss Scarborough audience before a 10-person brawl. Credit: Johnston Press© Ross Parry / SWNS Group

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "Police were called at around 11.45pm following reports of a disturbance

"We didn't receive any complaints and no one has been arrested in connection with the incident."

Lifeboats 'temporarily stood down' in search for angler

Two RNLI lifeboats based at Scarborough have been "temporarily stood down" after a search for a missing man on the North Yorkshire coast.

More: Lifeboat and helicopter search for missing angler

Advertisement

Search for missing angler on North Yorkshire coast

The search for a missing angler off the North Yorkshire coast is continuing. A helicopter was previously deployed to help search the cliffs near Burniston.

Q9kbms8j_normal

Search continues for missing angler off Burniston cliff Helicopter gone to RAF Leconfield to refuel @rnliscarborough http://t.co/N3wV8OkbHV

Bfsuk1gieaavugn

More: Lifeboat and helicopter search for missing angler

Video: Moment motorist captured driving 'hands-free'

A man found guilty of dangerous driving has been banned from driving for 12 months after he was caught on camera driving with no hands.

North Yorkshire Police’s mobile safety camera shows Richard Newton driving past a safety camera van with both hands on his head. He continues along the road for around 25 seconds driving around 60mph.

A court in Scarborough also ordered Newton to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community and fined him £625.

Read more: Court finds man guilty after being caught driving 'hands free'

Calendar

Court finds man guilty after being caught driving 'hands free'

A man caught on camera driving at more than sixty miles an hour with his hands behind his head has been found guilty of dangerous driving by magistrates in Scarborough .

Richard Newton,a thirty six year old motor mechanic from Whitby, had admitted in court that his driving was careless but had denied it was dangerous. Newton said he was stretching himself because of a back problem.

Watch: the moment motorist got caught on camera driving with hands on head

Advertisement

Calendar

Police release statement about death

HUMBERSIDE Police were contacted by Scarborough General Hospital, shortly after 0600hrs yesterday morning (Sunday 17 March ), after a Bridlington man had been taken to the hospital by a friend in a serious condition.

The 23-year-old man was sadly pronounced dead at hospital and the police notified.

The circumstances of the man's death are not clear and officers are currently undertaking enquiries to establish events leading to his death.

There were no signs of violence and a post mortem examination is due to take place tomorrow (Tuesday 19 March) which is hoped may provide further information.

– Humberside Police
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories