Live updates

Police admit Mark Duggan stop tactic was not reviewed

Mr Duggan was shot by a Scotland Yard marksman after armed officers stopped the taxi in which he was travelling in Tottenham in August 2011. Credit: ITV News

Scotland Yard ignored recommendations to review a controversial "hard stop" police tactic that was employed against Mark Duggan when he was shot in 2011, sparking rioting across the country, it has emerged.

The Metropolitan Police had been advised to review its use of the "high risk option" in 2005 by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), the BBC's Panorama programme has found.

The pre-planned "hard stop" tactic sees armed officers deliberately intercept a vehicle to confront suspects.

Scotland Yard has conceded it was wrong not to have reviewed the tactic at the time, but said an "interim review" had now been completed by the College of Policing.

Advertisement

Police apologise to actress after dog attack

An actress who was bitten by a police dog after a burglary has received an apology from Scotland Yard.

Juliet Aubrey, 47, was mauled by an Alsatian when she called officers as burglars raided her London home in March 2012.

Actress Juliet Aubrey pictured in 1998. Credit: Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment

The dog handler will face misconduct proceedings over the incident.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The MPS has acknowledged that the woman was let down when she called the police for help on 13 March 2012 and has offered her a formal and sincere apology. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this time, pending the outcome of the case."

Aubrey's films include Gloria Woodrow in the Constant Gardener, and she has appeared in a number of TV series such as The White Queen and Silent Witness.

Scotland Yard launch anti-terror operation

The Metropolitan police will be putting high visibility patrols in crowded places across the capital to raise awareness of the threats Londoners face from terrorists.

The threat to London from terrorism remains "real and serious", Morris said. Credit: PA

Codenamed Operation Penna, it will see specialist officers brief members of the public, businesses and local police to improve protection from terrorist attacks and run until 24 January.

Commander Richard Morris, from Specialist Operations, said: "Everyone has a role to play in keeping London safe from terrorism.

"This operation sees specialist officers working closely with neighbourhood officers and communities raising awareness of security in London.

"We want to build on our engagement with communities and businesses in a variety of ways to counter the threat from terrorism. Our aim is to raise awareness and improve protection from a terrorist attack and other crimes."

Report: Police confirm arrests 'in vicinity of Palace'

Scotland Yard has confirmed two men were arrested "following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace" on Monday evening in a statement to The Sun.

Police arrested two men following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace at approximately 22.20 hours on Monday, 2 September.

Both men have been bailed to return to a central London police station and enquiries continue.

A review of the specific circumstances of this incident has been carried out.

– Scotland Yard spokesperson

Advertisement

Man charged over Buckingham Palace incident

A man arrested after being Tasered outside Buckingham Palace as he held a knife to his neck has been charged with possessing a bladed weapon in public and affray, Scotland Yard said today.

Talhat Rehman, 54, of Lindsay Drive, Harrow, was seen ranting and pressing a second six-inch knife to his chest while holding a set of beads.

He will appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates Court today.

Police investigating claims officers used dead kids' IDs

Scotland Yard tonight said the practice was not "currently" authorised. Credit: Anthony Devlin/PA Archive

Scotland Yard has begun an investigation into claims its officers used the identities of dead children and issued fake passports in their names to go undercover.

A Guardian report alleges that the Metropolitan police authorised the creation of the aliases for covert officers infiltrating protest groups, without consulting or informing the children's parents.

The newspaper claims generations of officers went through national birth and death records, over three decades, in search of suitable matches to generate official documents like driving licences and national insurance numbers.

Scotland Yard tonight said the practice was not "currently" authorised and confirmed it was probing "past arrangements for undercover identities used by SDS (Special Demonstration Squad) officers".

Load more updates