Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter is facing another corruption investigation after the ethics committee of world football's governing body announced it was opening proceedings against him and key lieutenants Jerome Valcke and Markus Kattner.
The committee's investigatory chamber will investigate possible violations of Fifa's rulebook that relate to bribery, conflicts of interest and general conduct, while Kattner faces a further charge related to a breach of confidentiality.
The case is understood to be based on the huge salaries and bonuses the three men allegedly paid themselves at Fifa, and the alleged leaking of information about new Fifa president Gianni Infantino to the media.
A Fifa statement said:
The deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of the ethics committee, Djimbaraye Bourngar, has opened formal proceedings against Joseph Blatter, former president of Fifa, Jerome Valcke, former secretary general of Fifa, and Markus Kattner, former acting secretary general and director of finance & corporate services.
The investigatory chamber will investigate possible violations of art. 13 (general rules of conduct), art. 15 (loyalty), art. 19 (conflicts of interest), art. 20 (offering and accepting gifts and other benefits) and art. 21 (bribery and corruption) of the Fifa code of ethics in the context of salaries and bonuses paid to Mr Blatter, Mr Valcke and Mr Kattner, as well as other provisions included in the contracts of these three individuals.
Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport against his six-year ban from football-related activities, CAS has announced.
Blatter and Uefa president Michel Platini last month had appeal hearings after being punished in December over a £1.3m "disloyal payment" made to the Frenchman.
The pair's suspensions were reduced from eight to six years, with their services to football a mitigating factor, but Platini took his case to CAS and Blatter has, as promised, followed suit.
A CAS statement read:
Joseph S Blatter has filed an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the decision issued by the Fifa Appeal Committee on February 16, 2016. In his appeal to the CAS, Mr Blatter seeks the annulment of the decision taken by the Fifa appeal committee in which he was suspended from all football-related activities at national and international level for six years.
A CAS arbitration procedure is in progress. First, the parties will exchange written submissions and a panel of three arbitrators will be constituted.
The panel will then issue directions with respect to the holding of a hearing. Following the hearing, the panel will deliberate and at a later date, it will issue a decision in the form of an arbitral award.
Sepp Blatter, the dethroned Fifa president, is preparing to publish a personal account of his near 18 years at the head of football's world governing body.
Swiss firm Werd and Weber Verlag is to release the book titled 'Sepp Blatter: Mission Football', written by his official spokesman, Thomas Renggli.
The publicity blurb says Blatter "repeatedly had to put up with harsh reviews and prejudices" and details how the 79-year-old "learned to deal with the hostility" during his lengthy tenure as FIFA president, which came to a swift end last June.
A spokesperson for the publishers told Press Association Sport: "It's his very own opinion on his time at FIFA.
"It's a very personal book, not judicially edited or sanitised at all."
The book is scheduled to be published in Blatter's native Switzerland in April, not in February as detailed on the publisher's website, and an English language version is due to be published in June. It will cost 39 Swiss francs (almost £28).
It is anticipated Blatter and Michel Platini, who was widely expected to succeed the Swiss as FIFA president, will this week learn the results of their appeals against their respective eight-year suspensions from all football-related activity.
Disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has insisted the 2022 World Cup vote was not fixedRead the full story ›
Suspended Fifa president Sepp Blatter is still receiving his presidential salary despite his world football ban, according to the Reuters news agency.
The Fifa ethics committee banned president Sepp Blatter and Uefa president Michel Platini from football activities for eight years.
The bans follow an investigation into a £1.3m "disloyal payment" made to Platini in 2011.
But Blatter, a Swiss national who has been president of FIFA since 1998, will continue to be paid until a new president is elected on 26 Feb, spokesman Andreas Bantel told Reuters.
This means Blatter would have been paid for nearly five months during which time he was unable to carry out his duties, and a period in which Fifa has appointed an acting president, African soccer head Issa Hayatou.
Michel Platini will be able to attend Euro 2016 matches in France next summer despite his Fifa ban - but only if he buys a ticket as a fan.Read the full story ›
Michel Platini has said he will appeal the decision taken by Fifa to ban him for eight years.
The head of European football said in a statement that he will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against his ban from the game announced by the Fifa ethics committee on Monday.
The Frenchman said in a statement that he was "at peace with my conscience".
Outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter vowed to "fight" his own ban from the Ethics Committee.
Uefa will support president Michel Platini through an appeal against his eight-year ban, the organisation has said.
In a statement, the body - which represents football associations across Europe - said it was "disappointed" with the decision by Fifa's Ethics Committee to ban and fine Mr Platini.
Uefa has taken note of the decision of the Fifa Ethics Committee to suspend Michel Platini for eight years from all football-related activities.
Naturally, Uefa is extremely disappointed with this decision, which nevertheless is subject to appeal.
Once again, Uefa supports Michel Platini's right to a due process and the opportunity to clear his name.
There are five candidates to replace Sepp Blatter as Fifa president after Blatter and Michel Platini were slapped with eight year bansRead the full story ›
Outgoing Fifa president Sepp Blatter has vowed to "fight" after being hit with an eight-year ban from football.
"Suspended for eight years - suspended for what?" he demanded, speaking at a press conference in Zurich following the decision of the Independent Ethics Committee.
He confirmed he plans to take his objections to Fifa's appeals body, go before the Lausanne-based sports arbitration panel, or take legal action under Swiss law if needed.
He said he had served with "heart and conscience" for more than 40 years, and criticised the committee for its handling of the investigation, saying he felt he had been "betrayed".
"I am a man of principles, and these principles are: Never take money you have not earned; secondly, pay your debts - but now they are telling me that I tried to buy votes through Michel Platini votes for the 2011 elections," he added.