Live updates

Advertisement

Advertisement

Co-op sorry for selling tainted doughnuts in Oswestry

These are not the tainted doughnuts Credit: Press Association Images

Shoppers in Shropshire have been left feeling ill after they bought Co-op doughnuts that had been accidentally tainted by cleaning fluid.

The company has apologised for what it called "an isolated issue", after disinfectant was left for too long on baking trays which were then used to cook the snacks.

A spokesperson for the Co-operative Food said: "We are committed to offering consistently high quality products and service and, we are sorry that this product fell short of those expectations.

"The matter has been thoroughly investigated and an isolated issue regarding the correct cleaning process for our oven trays was identified. This has now been addressed.”

Paul McGreary, Shropshire Council’s head of business support and regulatory services, confirmed that the Council was looking into the incident.

He said: “Shropshire Council is investigating this case, and that investigation is ongoing; therefore, we can’t comment any further.”

Load more updates