Live updates

Advertisement

South African President Jacob Zuma admitted to hospital

The South African President Jacob Zuma has been admitted to hospital for a scheduled procedure to remove gallstones, the Presidency said.

South African President Jacob Zuma admitted to hospital. Credit: PA

A statement from Zuma's office said."The galllstones were discovered about two months ago during a routine medical check-up. The president's work programme did not allow for the procedure to be undertaken earlier,"

He was expected to be discharged on Sunday.

'More than 300 injured' in South Africa train collision

More than 300 people have been injured after two commuter trains collided in Johannesburg, the Associatied Press reports.

Spokeswoman Nana Radebe from Johannesburg Emergency Services told the news agency 326 people were taken to nearby hospitals with minor to serious injures.

She had previously said the number of injured was above 400.

No deaths were reported, and none of the people injured are in critical condition, according to the spokeswoman.

The accident was said to have happened at rush hour between two stations, with the trains travelling from the city centre to the Soweto township.

She added that the trains were on the same track, and it appeared that a moving train had collided with a stationary train.

Oscar Pistorius to be released from jail after 10 months

Oscar Pistorius is set for release from jail in August after serving just 10 months behind bars for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Oscar Pistorius with Reeva Steenkamp in happier times. Credit: ITV News

The Paralympic medallist is expected to serve the rest of his five-year sentence under 'correctional supervision', which is a form of house arrest in South Africa.

Pistorius was found guilty of culpable homicide after shooting his model girlfriend through a bathroom door at his home in 2013. He has always maintained it was an accident.

The Steenkamp family said in a statement they did not seek to avenge Reeva's death as that would not bring her back.

"However, a person found guilty of a crime must be held accountable for their actions," they added.

In November, prosecutors are set to appeal against Pistorius' sentence. If successful, it could see him jailed for 15 years.

ITV News Correspondent Dan Rivers reports:

Advertisement

Prison officials recommend date for Pistorius parole

The 21st August would be the ten month mark of his prison sentence. Credit: Reuters

South African prison officials have recommended that Oscar Pistorius be released from jail on 21st August and be placed under house arrest.

A prison committee recommended that Pistorius be released from the prison in Pretoria after serving one sixth of his five-year sentence for the unlawful killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013.

The Associated Press report that a full parole board decision is pending and that the full conditions of Pistorius' house arrest won't be made public by the authorities.

Parole for Oscar Pistorius 'in August', family says

Credit: Reuters

South African Oscar Pistorius is expected to be released on parole in August, Reuters has reported, citing a family member.

Double-amputee Pistorius, a Paralympic champion, is currently serving a five-year prison sentence after being convicted of culpable homicide of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013.

"Oscar will be released on parole by the end of August," a Pistorious family member who did not want to be named told the news agency. Pistorius started his five year sentence in October last year.

South Africa denies 2010 World Cup bribe claims

The South African government has denied allegations that bribes worth more than $10 million bribe were promised to a Fifa official during its bid to host the 2010 World Cup.

Sepp Blatter handing the World Cup to winners Spain in South Africa in 2010. Credit: Reuters

US prosecutors yesterday accused ex-Fifa vice-president Jack Warner of soliciting the huge bribe from the South African government in return for the right to host the tournament.

But a South African minister said there had been a "clean audit report" after the 2010 World Cup.

"There has never been any suggestion that anything untoward happened in South Africa,"Jeff Radebe told reporters.

The South African Football Association has also dismissed the claims as "baseless".

Load more updates