More than 100 people have been killed in a cattle raid attack in the region of South Sudan, the Associated Press is reporting.
Kuol Manyang Juuk, the governor of Jonglei state, said 103 people died in the clash on Friday. He said 14 soldiers with South Sudan's military, known as the SPLA, were among those killed.
Akobo County commissioner Goi Joyul said the attackers are believed to be members of a rebel group. Joyul said the attack took place during the yearly migration in which members of the Lou Nuer ethnic group were driving cattle across the Sobat River.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that South Sudan's seizure of an oil field in neighboring Sudan was an "illegal act" and called on both countries to stop fighting.
Clashes along the ill-defined border between the former civil war foes has led to a standoff over the Heglig oil field after it was seized last week by troops from South Sudan, which declared independence last year.
I call on South Sudan to immediately withdraw its forces from Heglig. This is an infringement on the sovereignty of Sudan and a clearly illegal act. I also call on the government of Sudan to immediately stop shelling and bombing South Sudanese territory and withdraw its forces from disputed territories.