Live updates

Southampton boss warns Man United over Jose Fonte

Puel is not prepared to sell his club captain. Credit: PA

Southampton's new head coach Claude Puel is confident defender Jose Fonte will still be at the club at the end of the summer transfer window despite talk linking him to Manchester United.

The 32-year-old captain, who was part of the Portugal side that won Euro 2016, is a doubt to feature in Saints' opening Premier League game against Watford.

Puel, who replaced Ronald Koeman as manager in June following the Dutchman's move to Everton, believes Fonte will be a key component for the Saints this season.

He said:

I do not think there is a possibility for Jose to leave us. I am sure that he can play all these games, he is very proficient.

When I see him on the pitch he is interesting, very professional and he has a good attitude. (Fonte has) re-joined in training. I do not know if he will start the game (on Saturday) but we will see.

– Southampton head coach Claude Puel

Advertisement

Advertisement

On the gravepine: Wanyama to Spurs a done deal?

Victor Wanyama has been heavily linked with a move away from Southampton since January Credit: PA

Southampton boss unhappy with Man Utd over Van Gaal

Koeman makes his feeling known about the way Van Gaal was treated. Credit: PA

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has criticised the way Man United handled the dismissal of Louis van Gaal.

Hours after the Red Devils lifted the FA Cup trophy at Wembley, it emerged they would be dismissing their manager following months of endless speculation about his future.

Despite rumours of secret talks between the club and Jose Mourinho's representatives, Van Gaal was reportedly kept in the dark about United's plans to replace him in the summer.

Mourinho has since been confirmed as Van Gaal's replacement in the Old Trafford hotseat and speaking to the Sunday Mirror, Koeman explained:

I have watched the process around Louis and Jose Mourinho from a distance. For months we were all reading that Mourinho was busy with Manchester United. If Louis was not told about getting the sack until after the FA Cup Final, then Manchester United as a club don’t deserve a medal for the way they treated him.

If you know a little bit about the business at the highest level in football, then you know that these kind of deals are not done over night. But Louis has been put under tremendous pressure for months. This is why I admire the way he kept his dignity.

Of course, he had a number of run-ins with the media and there were moments when I thought ‘Louis, you could have dealt with that in another way.’ But Louis is Louis. But looking at the incredible pressure all around him, I think he did a great job winning a big trophy like the FA Cup.

– Ronald Koeman speaking to the Sunday Mirror

Southampton confirm trio to leave the club

Ramirez was frozen out by current boss Koeman. Credit: PA

Southampton have confirmed the departure of £12million midfielder Gaston Ramirez.

The Uruguay international was a club-record signing for Saints in 2012 but started just 28 matches in four years at St Mary's.

Ramirez was frozen out by current boss Ronald Koeman and spent last term on loan with Hull before ending the current season at Middlesbrough.

Newly-promoted Boro are understood to be keen on signing the 25-year-old permanently after he scored seven goals in 15 Championship starts.

Veteran goalkeeper Kelvin Davis is also out of contract but is in talks over a new role behind the scenes at the club.

The 39-year-old joined Saints when they were a League One club in 2006 and had a testimonial last week.

Young goalkeeper Will Britt, who suffered with injuries during the 2015/16 campaign having made six Under-21 appearances the previous season, has also left the club.

Load more updates