Two Irish students have been injured in a Spanish bus crash that killed 13 and left at least 30 others hurt.
Ireland's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed that two Irish nationals were among the injured after a bus carrying foreign students crashed on a motorway between Valencia and Barcelona on Sunday.
We can confirm that two Irish people received non-life threatening injuries in this morning's bus crash in Tarragona, Spain. We stand ready to provide consular assistance.
British exchange students are also feared to have been on board the coach when it crashed but this has not yet been officially confirmed.
The UK Foreign Office said it was in contact with Spanish authorities.
At least 13 women were killed when a coach carrying foreign students crashed on a motorway in Spain.
British and Irish students are feared to be among about 30 people injured when the coach collided with a car on a motorway between Valencia and Barcelona.
- Video report by ITV News correspondent Neil Connery
The coach reportedly swerved onto the other side of the road and hit an oncoming car, injuring the two passengers.
The driver survived the crash and was taken to a local police station, Catalonia's regional interior minister Jordi Jane said.
The cause of the accident was not immediately clear but was most likely due to "human error", he said.
The victims of the crash early on Sunday morning were aged 22 to 29 and “the majority are Erasmus students of various nationalities”, Mr Jane said.
Erasmus university students are part of a European exchange programme.
The coach had been travelling from Valencia, on the last weekend of the Fallas festival, famous for its firework displays.
The nationalities of those who died in the crash are not yet known.
Catalonia's emergency services said in a statement that passengers on board included students from Hungary, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Czech Republic, New Zealand, Great Britain, Italy, Peru, Bulgaria, Poland, Ireland, the Palestinian Territories, Japan, Ukraine, Holland, France and Finland.
Local reports earlier put the death toll at 14.
Spain boss Vicente del Bosque has called up veteran Athletic Bilbao striker Aritz Aduriz to his squad to face Italy and Romania.
Aduriz earned his one international cap in 2010 and has not featured since.
There is no place for Chelsea's Diego Costa, who isn't fully fit, as Spain plan for Euro 2016.
Del Bosque said: "If Costa was 100% fit he would have been picked. Situation the other day was not so serious - and we are not here to punish."
OFICIAL | Lista de la @sefutbol / Spain's call up (1): Casillas, De Gea, Rico; Juanfran, Mario Gaspar, Piqué, Bartra, Ramos, Nacho, J. Alba
OFICIAL | Lista de la @sefutbol / Spain's call up (2): Azpilicueta, Busquets, San José, Sergi Roberto, Cesc, Koke, Thiago, Isco, Silva, Mata
Bruce and Schrell Hopkins have been charged with negligent homicide following the death of their son Caleb.Read the full story ›
Seven British men have been arrested after a record-breaking cocaine raid in Spain.Read the full story ›
The rise of left-wing Podemos and market-friendly Ciudadanos appears to signal an end to Spain's 40-year-old two-party system.Read the full story ›
The Spanish prime minister has been punched in the face during a campaign appearance.Read the full story ›
A British DJ in Ibiza suffered a prolonged beating at the hands of an off-duty police officer.Read the full story ›
The man appears to have gone into the sea despite a warning flag on the beach advising of bad conditions.Read the full story ›